Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Heli tips over when trying to take off

Old 02-01-2009, 01:09 AM
sorral

Default Heli Max CP v3

Got my heli back together, and ran into a new snag! The battery will not charge. It has only been used 5 times, and now the charger just blinks when the battery is plugged in. After 4 hours, the battery is not charging. This thing is getting to be more trouble than it is worth.

After years of wanting an RC heli, I finally get one. But it is too advanced for me to fly, and nothing is working properly!
Old 02-02-2009, 03:36 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Naw it's always worth the trouble

Not sure what goes wrong with those little chargers, but it might be time to get a real one. What is the voltage? Did you run it down too low?
Old 04-13-2009, 08:52 PM
sorral

Default too much for me

After another crash, this damn thing is too much for me. I have been practicing on a simulator, doing well. Being able to take off, hover, flight, and land, on the simulator is one thing. But I can not do it with the real thing!

I called the local RC plane group, they have a member who likes the Helis too. I am going to offer it to him for a big discount, then buy something a lot easier for a beginner.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:36 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Don't really give up on it yet... get some help with the setup. An experienced person will be able to keep it in the air long enough to determine the things that might be set up wrong. If it's set up right, it makes a huge difference. It is probably not worth trying to sell it... you'll lose money, and you will eventually be able to fly it when you get your reaction time better and get it set up right.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:58 PM
sorral

Default What I plan on..

is to sell or trade it, I will not loose money because it was a gift. I will get a more beginner freindly heli to start with.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:31 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

I would suggest getting the biggest helicopter you can afford. Trex 500 if you can... very stable in a hover, and very easy to eyeball the setup and so it's easier to see if anything is off. Setup is key for beginners, so you want to avoid the little helis which can be sensitive to things being off by half a millimeter. Then, even if you go with RTF, make sure you understand head setup so you can check to make sure everything is straight and balanced and so on. Flying a poorly set up machine can be hard for an expert, but it's impossible for a beginner.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:49 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Jasmine always has great advice and on the money..bigger machine the better, but as mentioned you want something easy to start, in your case this will be a needed confidence builder.....

Best Mini series I've run into is the coaxial Eflite MCX, its a mircro bird but flys very easy, and light can take a beating without breaking the bank, trust me you will like this one, it will help on coordinating the stick movement needed....

Then things quickly become sticky and what Jasmines trying to tell you, a bigger machine will be alot more stable to fly....

But they have so many of these dang mini flyers out there something must work, and it does, hold onto your pocket book but they have this amazing little Hirobo SRB QUARK, not only built like a battleship but flys out of the box beautifully, abit more zippy then your coaxial but once you mastered the beginner heli, the FP Fixed Pitch Quark will fly like a champ, I love mine, nothing out there in this size even close to its stability, its design is terrific for out of the box performer, check the threads, they aren't kidding...<>..

I'm now hovering a CP, again an Eflite, the Pro 2, its not the one of choice as has the dang tail motor but they have the correct gyro setup and it locks in solid, and can now hover it full duration, a miracle for this lousy flyer...

My path perhaps not correct, just want to let you know most of us had loads of issues, so hang in there, keep us posted, great people here to keep you going...Wish You The Best ..<>...

Pssst, I'm a strong believer in mini hops on any new heli at the start, just enough throttle to skim the surface, yes you will be in the wash, but setting it down and take offs will get the feel for things and eventually have the correct stick inputs without doing serious if any damage, worked great on my latest CP..<>..

One other note, even before the mini hop, try to throttle only enough for it start to lift but hold things steady, if it leans any direction throttle down immediately, if it keeps leaning do light trim but try opposing stick carefully till you get things to stay level, Then your ready to bunnie hop...<>..Its abit of a balancing act at the start but becomes easier each attempt, patience...<>..

One more thing, many perhaps even correctly say to hover it up over 2 feet out of the wash, this is fine if things stay steady, unfortunately not all of us are that gifted at the start, I prefer the above method...<>..

Last edited by phillipmorris; 04-15-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:53 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

There is no correct path but the one that gets you there...
Old 04-15-2009, 05:04 PM
sorral

Default what I plan

What I plan ist to sell or traid this thing for a more beginner friendly heli. Money is a big issue now, so keeping it and buying a beginner one is out of the question. If I can get into the beginner for practice, when work and money pick up I will look for another advanced Heli when my skills are improved.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:23 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Coaxials are a great confidence builder which is likely what you need at this moment...again the Eflite MCX micro if you want to fly inside, the other larger CX series are excellent as well, most of the Lama's are great for the money, they don't behave as the next steps but certainly helped me...

The next decision gets sticky, best thing is to read the threads on these different models and find the one that looks like it could be in your favor....

Takes loads of simulating and flying to get the real feel for these, some ways even more challenging, things don't react exactly like the simulators, but will give clues on what to expect...hang in there and best of luck..

Heading out right now for a brief CP flight, is breezy, look out...BEST ..<>..
Old 04-15-2009, 10:38 PM
sorral

Default hey!

Would anyone want to trade?
Old 04-16-2009, 01:20 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

You may want to place it in the classifieds, also is rcunivers and rcgroups threads for the trade etc, believe your choice might be the Eflite Blade CX, nice one...<>.. also have a cute Eflite Micro MCX flys super....good luck
Old 04-16-2009, 03:15 PM
RyuuChi

Originally Posted by sorral View Post
Would anyone want to trade?

i recomend tuckin your little guys back in and keep on pluggin away with that heli. I was just as frustrated as you seem to be when i first started. my first 30 flights combined didn't even amount to enough to drain one pack one time because i would crash so quickly. but after a lot of fixes, i got a simulator and a blade 400 as a goal/reward, went through the radds on the simulator several times, practiced for hours, crashed the first helicopter some more, and now i can fly, most of the time.

one thing to remember is that crashing is part of this hobby, so it'll never go away, the intervals just get a little longer when you're a little more experienced. one guy that i know, who is a really good pilot, just stuffed a vibe 50 into the dirt to the tune of 600 bucks, but it's allready rebuilt and he's going at it again today.

so, to summarize, get a sim and stick with it, you'll be happy you did. I know i was.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:46 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Rather than keep getting frustrated, check out your other options out there...

You do want to find the model that flys for you, then you progress big time and takes away loads of frustration, my Honey Bees realize some have luck with them were simply a no go for me, went the amazing Hirobo Quark route, is a huge difference in models out there and this one is at the top of the chart for a flying mini fixed pitch, its amazing flyer and very reason I made it this far to the CP helis, again several again did not work and found the Pro 2, I wouldn't quite suggest this one for everyone as likely the Blade 400 is abit more stable, I will verify soon as have the 400 coming...

I'm actually flying the Quark around, tho will pop a blade now and then and at $2 replacement, very easy fix and low parts cost indeed, its built like a battle ship, very thing I needed..again its off the charts, $350, but worth it for success..<>..

Go easy, Takes some effort to harness a CP, mine is hovering well, and now pushing it forward and snappy altitudes as enjoying the faster responses, far from flying it around, taking my time enjoying every flight, also playing with breezes for more feel..love it..<>.

So it can be a bumpy road, read the threads and with luck you will find the models for you...my favorites todate

Eflite Coaxials, MCX, CX, most any of the Coaxial Lamas all nice...
Hirobo SRB Quark, where were you, pricy but made it for me, superb nice to know they can make a model for the rest of us...
Eflite Pro 2, this ones a hanful but hovering and now starting to move it slightly, great
Blade 400, on the way, here we go...

BEST ..<>..
Old 04-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Monti
Spinless Loser Newb

Me too Sorral, I as green as grass with this hobby but I think it will be fun. I get my parts locally but have bought a few bits on-line. Hobby City has some great deals and the shipping from Asia is actually faster to my place than if I bought it in the US.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:24 AM
helidirectllc

Default How do I make a remote control helicopter?

On the off chance that you need to amass some real parts, search for "ARF": nearly prepared to-fly. This lets your pick higher-execution parts to redo your helicopter. On the off chance that you need to get into the stray pieces, you can go similarly as getting your very own laser-shaper, CNC factory, and so forth., plan your very own pieces in CAD, wind your very own engine and servos. I proposal is to begin with RTF, figure out how to fly. When you feel exhausted with the execution of RTF, get some ARF units and swap in better parts and Keep as a top priority that helicopters dependably include spinning sharp edges with a great deal of vitality that are scarcely leveled out, which is kind of the inverse of wellbeing. If you don't mind be cautious and you can easily buy to helidirect.com.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:25 PM
helidirectllc

Default HeliDirect Promotional Coupons

[hr]$s[/hr]Promotional Code Ready to save some cash? Shop now multiple ways to save on your next order! Start saving today with the below discount options that apply to any order $50.00 or more, with up to $30.00 off your order of $250.00 or greater!