Support & Suggestions If you need tech support post your question here or site suggestions too.

non related ads showing up on pages?

Old 08-04-2016, 11:52 PM
pd1
Still Learning

deleted

Last edited by pd1; 08-05-2016 at 02:30 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:53 AM
IBobi
Administrator

Guys,

Ads are what support this site. It's free.

We do not want to be encouraging the use of tech that circumvents the site's only ability to stay open.

Please consider editing or deleting your posts discussing such tech.

Paul
Old 08-05-2016, 02:58 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
Guys,

Ads are what support this site. It's free.

We do not want to be encouraging the use of tech that circumvents the site's only ability to stay open.

Please consider editing or deleting your posts discussing such tech.

Paul
There are "incognito work-around" tools with Google, Chrome and Firefox, that still allow banner adds and prevent the pesky center screen pop-ups......without the use of an "add-on" blocker. I've posted solutions to this on numerous occasions. Apparently, many who have had issue with various web-surfing Window's OS applications (to include W10) still haven't got a handle on this.........

I also realize this site, not unlike any other "free" forum site, is supported by the advertising and marketing of products through the vendors it supports.........But to suggest that we "sensor" any discussion related to tech applications that help make the use of this forum less cumbersome and intrusive........well, I dare not expand on that 'personal opinion'.......However much I may disagree.......

Another note......be aware that all "add-on" blockers also track user history and URL identifiers. One would be surprised how many of those "tools" are also tech supported by the likes of the very same intrusion offenders like Google, Firefox and Microsoft.
That's not to say that there are not a few developers who stand-alone" and fight the good fight against privacy intrusion. But the really high tech blocking tools do not come free and are constantly being updated (due to the "offenders" who have teams) who are specifically assigned to take down and bird dog the "freedom" fighters"........as I have stated previously, my IT guy is one such "freedom fighter" who is compensated very little for is abilities.......yet belongs to a national (Silicon Valley based) network organization who develops (on their own dime) tools other companies buy and incorporate into their software.......lol......even Microsoft and Google.

The best suggestion to finding an acceptable, individual "comfort zone" while viewing one's favorite "free" forums, is to spend a little time better acquainting one's self to the tools every BIOS/OS provides and experiment.......or hook-up with a local PC service center, drop a few bucks and let an expert walk you through do's and don'ts. That's what I did and ultimately developed a friendship, who now is my IT guy on the cheap.......we trade services......

Last edited by pizzano; 08-05-2016 at 03:15 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:37 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I have nothing against some of banner ads. It the ones that are appearing inside the page/ message block
Old 08-05-2016, 08:24 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

One of the sites I set up with a pal - catering for the small to medium size yacht - when you have an ad-blocker active actually puts a small banner above the menu line asking if you would consider disabling the blocker. But it only shows when you start the site, once in and posting / viewing it goes away.

Occasionally one of us pays the small fee for ad-free service.

Nigel
Old 08-06-2016, 02:24 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

This video is running in the middle of Nigels' post above.
[media]https://video.sekindo.com/uploads/video/travelers_guide_to_nutrition2_mini.mp4[/media]

Instant Oatmeal? What the hello does that have to do with flying r/c?
Old 08-06-2016, 02:26 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

And this one just popped up in my above post.
https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...e%26C3%3Dc3__c

Okay so we have to have ads. How bout get rid of the ones in the middle of posts, and move the side banner ads to the bottom of the page? I'd be happy with that.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:54 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I had to change my Browser because one of my Banks changed its Online system. With MS Edge I couldn't do transactions because Edge is not compatible.

The 'free' Win10 I have now says I can use IE but it fails to open. I used Opera in the end to do the bank stuff and then after deciding I don't like it went against my better judgement and made Chrome my default.

I really do not like Chrome based on the ongoing argument Google had trying to justify its Ads and collection of user's surfing / info for selling on.

But it seems to be doing the biz and I have no more Ads ... not even side ones as now AdFender runs without breaking my login.

Nigel
Old 08-10-2016, 03:25 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Here's an interesting little tidbit the largest social media application just admitted to.........:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/facebook...ers-1470751204

And they are just now admitting it (publically)........lol........!

Sources I'm familiar with have stated that this little "secret" has been in the works for over two years. Evidently there were legal issues that had to be ironed out before the "tool" could be implemented globally. The technology has been in-place with Windows and Chrome for quite sometime.......I don't use Face Book or Twitter applications, so that's fine. But, what is now going to be a surprise for many that do, will eventually be common place at all social media web-sites (if they pay for the service provided by Chrome).......!
Old 08-10-2016, 04:49 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Went to Chrome and added the ad blocker app. No more popups insides the thread message space. Thanks Nigel !
Old 10-15-2016, 06:11 PM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

I'm using Win7 and no ads here, of any kind (currently using Opera).

My solution?: I set the browser to block 3rd party cookies!
Old 10-15-2016, 08:01 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Win10 sucks in that regard. Try using chrome.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:28 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Win10 sucks in that regard. Try using chrome.
Just installed Chrome after reading your post, about 10 minutes ago.

Still get the ads, I guess there is no hope, but that is what helps pay for our website.
Glad they do it and we don't have to pay a membership fee.

Seems like it used to be more ads, now it is just in the last post. At least for me.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:00 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Chrome allows you to download an ad blocker. Can't remember which one but it should be in this thread. Nigel turned me on to it. Works for Chrome
Old 10-16-2016, 07:03 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Ad bloc plus
Old 10-21-2016, 02:36 PM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Exclamation

For those that didn't get my last post; both Chrome and Opera have within themselves (comes stock, no downloads required, [should] operate regardless of what OS your computer has) a feature which will allow you to block third party cookies. Activate this and you will see NO ADS.*

Or y'all can ignore me and continue to gripe. Your choice.

I'm done

*Note: Except for the simple banner ads at the top and the right side.

Last edited by FlyWheel; 10-27-2016 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Added Note