Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Marketing 'optimism', nonsense and outright C-rating lies, with tests

Old 06-12-2019, 08:32 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Default Marketing 'optimism', nonsense and outright C-rating lies, with tests

About the marketing 'optimism', the nonsense and the outright C-rating lies, with standardized tests.
Active thread:
Battery Load Test Comparisons - RCG

Last edited by ron_van_sommeren; 06-12-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:01 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

The very first post of the thread Ron linked to is a gold mine of information and should be read by every lipo user.

Battery C ratings are never true, no matter which manufacturer they come from. I use this tool to tell me exactly what the true C rating for any particular pack is:

https://www.progressiverc.com/univer...sis-meter.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/wayne-gi...cell-lipo.html

This meter will show you the true sustained C rating of each cell. And there's a newer version coming out soon that will show all cells at once on the screen so you don't have to pin each cell separately.

My bottom line on lipos is, if it will provide the necessary amps within its true sustained C rating to power my setup, then that's what I use. For example, my RoaringTop 6S 5800 35C packs test out at 20-22C. Even at just 20C, that's 116 sustained amps without damage to the pack (barring any manufacturing flaws). I fly these in all of my Freewing jets that pull 100 amps or less. I've never had any issues with RT packs getting overly hot or puffing, and I've never had one die because of a cell dropping out. It seems the only way I can damage these is to crash! :p
Old 07-01-2019, 01:21 AM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

It's just money right? You can trust the average company to provide a decent product... right?
www.liporatings.com
Old 08-10-2019, 08:18 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

New version of Wayne Giles' battery internal resistance tester
The official new ESR/IR Mark II meter thread – NB: READ THE FIRST 10 POSTS - RCG

Originally Posted by jj604, John Julian
For almost 10 years the Wayne Giles designed, LiPo ESR/IR meter has been the gold standard on which modellers who are serious about preserving the life of their expensive LiPos, getting packs with the best performance, and sorting out the marketing rubbish on the label from the real performance of a LiPo have relied. The meter measures the Effective Series Resistance or “Internal Resistance" of each cell in a LiPo pack. This provides a direct measure of relative cell condition and comparative pack performance. Used in conjunction with a very simple web based “LiPoTool” the meter provides an extremely fast non-destructive indication of the sensible maximum current limit for any model LiPo to preserve its life and avoid overheating. It has brought some sanity to the often outrageous claims of C-rate on the label of some vendor’s packs.

Almost 1900 of these meters are in use worldwide and now…….

There is a new version with the same accuracy and reliability - but much quicker and more convenient to use. It is a development of Wayne’s design by well known RCGroups modeler Rick Distler (rampman) who has been making the original version for some years now. ...

Last edited by ron_van_sommeren; 08-11-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:24 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

I just got one of the Mark II meters (a flying buddy is the one that builds them now) and I love it! No more moving the pins to each cell. Now the meter will show you all cells simultaneously.