Crash and Safety Forum Punch something in lately? Have safety suggestions? Tell the story, share safety tips, and show the pictures here.

We had a club member lose his life recently

Old 07-08-2019, 02:18 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Default We had a club member lose his life recently

We had an incident at the field Friday that almost cost one of our members his life. Bob, who is 86 years old, was flying around 8 am and lost his plane off to the right side of the field. We are on top of the old landfill and it drops off pretty steeply on all sides. The grass/weeds have grown to almost chest height as the county has not done the mid summer bush hogging yet. It was very hot and humid, 92 degrees and about 80% humidity. No one else was out with him so he went into the high grass by himself looking for it. He was overcome by the heat and passed out sometime around 9 am. By the time it was discovered he was missing and 911 was called he had been out there over 9 hours in that debilitating heat..

Thank the good Lord that another member went out that afternoon to cut the grass and noticed his gear and car were there. But he was not. He called to let me know and based on Bob's habits I knew he had gone looking for a plane so I called 911 to get some help right away. Sevier County Emergency response agencies including the Sheriff's department, Pigeon Forge FD, Sevier county FD, Sevier County Rescue Squad and others I'm sure I am missing began an extensive search and he was located close to midnight. All total there was close to 100 Emergency responders on and around our airfield looking for him.

He is in ICU at our local hospital but should recover ok. This could have ended tragically, thank God they found him. I visited with him yesterday and today and his spirits are good and should recover. He was so dehydrated that he is now having some kidney issues and still having a hard time swallowing anything.

It is always a good idea to use the buddy system when flying but in a small club, we have less than 20 members, it is not always practical to have someone with you. While visiting him he knows he made a terrible decision to head off the runway without someone else there, or at least letting someone know what he was doing and what area he would be in.

I have already instituted a new procedure for our club. "If you are at the field flying by yourself do not leave the short cut grass area without notifying someone first. Make sure they know what you are doing and the area you will be in. I would highly recommend not going off field without someone with you for safety purposes." This will be put into our club bylaws as soon as possible.

Just think, think what if, what if something were to happen to you at your field. We are all very thankful today to still have our friend with us.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bob3.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	187558   Click image for larger version

Name:	bob2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	187559   Click image for larger version

Name:	bob1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	187560  

Last edited by firemanbill; 07-24-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:38 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Glad to hear out worked out ok Bill. It's tragic that he ended up in the hospital but it sounds like the community resources pulled together to find him.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:08 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

One of the 2 RC clubs in the Olympia WA area uses a Google reflector system extensively.
It is an email reflector (relay) system, where any club member can send a message to the "Reflector" and it sends it back out to the entire club. Someone might just say; Hey I am going flying tomorrow at 9:30, anyone else? and someone usually will respond with what time they will be there.
There is a huge area of tall brush out past the runway, if one person was lost in that on a hot day it could be tragic.
Our other club has a reflector also but doesn't use it as much.

It is a free Google service, I set one up for the second club, so it is not hard. Everyone that wants to be on it, just gives their email address to the "Owner" of the reflector, and he sets it up.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:38 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Pleased to hear it has turned out well. Thinking of him.
It happened in Australia as well. It was a bit more tragic though sadly.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post40486187

Post no #1788

Last edited by Panther; 07-08-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:21 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Update to the original story.

Bob had too much damage to his kidneys and other internal organs due to his ordeal that day. He passed away late last week.

One of the hardest things to do is say goodbye to a friend. There are so many empty words and phrases we throw out there, but the fact is it hurts. It hurts deep. I will sure miss seeing Bob's smiling face at our flying field on Saturday's. I will miss his makeshift windsock he put up on a flight stand. I will miss the evenings he would come to the house and we would work on planes. I will miss his friendship. Fly high Bob!

We had a nice celebration of life at his Church last evening. Lots of folks came out to pay their respects. Kind words were said all around. Bob was a good man and a good friend.

RIP Brother
Old 07-24-2019, 05:09 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

So sorry for your lose.
That is a terrible way to lose someone.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:00 PM
Cpt.TYPHOON

Farewell to a other pilot gone ... Sorry for your lost !

Old 07-25-2019, 12:00 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Really sorry to hear of his passing Bill. Prayers to him, the family, and his friends.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:05 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Truly sad news.....

Joe
Old 07-25-2019, 02:10 PM
smithdoor

Really sorry to hear of his passing. Prayers to the family,

Dave