Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > UAV / FPV
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

UAV / FPV Forum to talk about UAV / FPV electric R/C flight.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-05-2018, 01:57 PM   #1
WyomingOutdoors

Friends: (0)
Default FPV Gliders: Calypso following Radian

Fish & I setting up and practicing fpv gliders for Mountain flying. These are first practice laps. Testing hd cameras, batteries, our speed and lift differences. Makes it challenging!!

Testing initial setup for flight characteristics. Calypso is running an Immersion 5.8 tx, LHCP VAS antenna, Runcam Swift 2 fpv cam, Runcam 2 for HD video, Frysky x8r w/ voltage & gps, 3S 4000mah battery, stock motor, spinner, & esc. Radian running Flitetest Runcam Split 2 Stack, TBS 5.8 Vtx, 3S 1300 mah battery, Spectrum 6210 rx (soon to be Dragonlink , stock motor, spinner, & esc.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:26 PM   #2
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10
Club: Lockyer Valley Aeromodellers can be found on Facebook.
Friends: (1)

pretty darn hard following someone. You did well!
Old 03-06-2018, 02:15 PM   #3
WyomingOutdoors

Thanks. Fish’s Radian is easily the better aircraft. Lighter, longer wingspan, gains altitude easily, better gliding & low speed characteristics. I’m thinking hard about a new chase aircraft for filming. Team-Lefit 5D 50in or Ritewing 60in (on 4 cell 6000mah). Practicing at 6400ft plus flying altitude is easier BUT when we get to the mountains, the starting altitude is 8500ft to 9500ft. Need something with little tail waggles, able to glide slowly, and able to fight strong winds if needed. Does such an aircraft exist?
Old 03-06-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
yorkiepap

Club: AMA/M.A.R.C.S.
Friends: (2)

Hey W-O,
I just got started in FPV after a year & a half doing homework/research. I'm setting up a couple gliders to wean into FPV since gliders have a good flight nature & are nice sized. My 1st setup is my ROC Hobby V-Tail since it is a 2.2m w/s & full-house w/plenty of power. It won't glide as good as my Radian, although can hold its own. What I found was the cockpit/canopy hatch was a really nice sized unit to install the tiny Eachine TX03 cam mounted to a pan servo mount that fit in the cockpit nicely. Also, the bottom had a nice thick area for mounting the Turnigy 1S 2000mah battery after removing a section of the battery outline & installing a 1/8" piece of ply inside the cockpit. This was to attaché the Velcro to the bottom for the battery attachment. I cut a hole in the canopy for the VTX to protrude & have enough room for the pan operation. I wanted to keep the canopy on as it definitely reduces drag. Anyway, here's some pics & links.

Denny

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...ail-glider-pnp

https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-TX0..._warehouse=USA

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...connector.html

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ROCVMaiden.jpg.JPG (453.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg V_Tailcam1.JPG (266.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg V_Tailcam3.JPG (199.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg V_Tailcam4.JPG (205.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg V_Tailcam6.JPG (197.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg V_Tailcam9.JPG (318.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg V_Tailcam11.JPG (268.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg V_Tailcam12.JPG (231.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg V_Tailcam13.JPG (271.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg V_Tailcam14.JPG (264.8 KB, 11 views)

* "To Be Old and Wise You Must First Be Young and Stupid." *

* "A mans' word is his honor....without honor, there is nothing." *
Old 03-06-2018, 08:59 PM   #5
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10

Originally Posted by WyomingOutdoors View Post
Thanks. Fish’s Radian is easily the better aircraft. Lighter, longer wingspan, gains altitude easily, better gliding & low speed characteristics. I’m thinking hard about a new chase aircraft for filming. Does such an aircraft exist?
I [[

keyboard playin u.... fjjjjfff Fixed te keyboard oops not yet. Sorry I am now on the Mac .

I have been looking hard at this one. It should do exactly what you want. I intend getting one when the bills are paid....
You can get it in standard tail config, or T-tail. 2600mm is a nice size.

http://www.porcupinerc.com/Powerzone...nics_p_61.html

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 11.02.08 am.png
Views:	10
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	186403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 11.02.29 am.png
Views:	10
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	186404  
Old 03-08-2018, 05:16 AM   #6
WyomingOutdoors

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely give those planes a hard look. The longer wingspans certainly fit the bill. I think part of my problem has been adding to many components to my gliders. I had better keep this next one light as possible!

Yorkiepap, what kind of distance have you been getting with that micro tx / camera combo? I like the idea of trying out that v-tail design. I had a Zepher V70 ducted jet glider .. . . it was a hoot, until I over stressed the wings and it hit the ground at 80mph ;|

Panther, that plane reminds me alot of the Penguin I've been watching on youtube. I like that idea of adding all my own components to the Powerzone glider.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:19 AM   #7
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10

Panther, that plane reminds me alot of the Penguin I've been watching on youtube. I like that idea of adding all my own components to the Powerzone glider.
Correct, It is the same plane. You can darn near fit a watermelon in the cockpit!
Some of the vids on youtube show just how large it is. If I don't get this one I will get the ZETA FX79 Buffalo flying Wing. My buddy just got one and I test flew it for him and fell in love with it. Porcupine sell them as well. Much cheaper than Banggood, especially the freight side of it.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:59 PM   #8
yorkiepap

Club: AMA/M.A.R.C.S.
Friends: (2)

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely give those planes a hard look. The longer wingspans certainly fit the bill. I think part of my problem has been adding to many components to my gliders. I had better keep this next one light as possible!

Yorkiepap, what kind of distance have you been getting with that micro tx / camera combo? I like the idea of trying out that v-tail design. I had a Zepher V70 ducted jet glider .. . . it was a hoot, until I over stressed the wings and it hit the ground at 80mph ;|

Hey W-O,
My initial test flight with this setup on one of my balsa planes was excellent all the way to 600m(200mw setting). My home location is quite high & visibility is unlimited with no obstructions. I had to return as my Tx timer indicated battery voltage was sufficient to return safely within margins of LVC. I've just ordered the Eachine TX526 that has output settings of 25/200/600mw & an EachineTX5258 that has 25/200/500/800mw power outputs. The ROC V-Tail has a much better airtime since I only power for climb & I've had it aloft in decent thermals for an hour. These tiny TX & VTX's make it a snap to keep everything light & take up little room. I have both the Eachine 600TVL cams & a couple Runcam Eagle Pro 2 cams to play with. I'll keep my progress & results posted here. Links attached.

Denny

https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-TX5..._warehouse=USA

https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-TX5..._warehouse=USA

https://www.banggood.com/600TVL-8_0M..._warehouse=USA

https://www.banggood.com/RunCam-Eagl..._warehouse=USA

* "To Be Old and Wise You Must First Be Young and Stupid." *

* "A mans' word is his honor....without honor, there is nothing." *

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > UAV / FPV