Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Current carrying capacity of silicone jacketed wire.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Turbine

Default Current carrying capacity of silicone jacketed wire.

Does anyone have a reliable source of info which sets out the continuous current carrying capacity of the various guages of AWG high strand silicone jacketed wire for electric flight.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:17 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I think you see wide ranges of numbers quoted due to a large extend because there are different criteria for sizing. If you size the wire based on minimising voltage drop over long lengths then you will end up with quite low amp rating (how low depends on how low a voltage drop you can live with). Alternativly for short wires you might forget voltage drop and size based on how hot the wire will get, keeping it under the max temperature for the insulation type.
Silicone is good for 200C which means you can push more amps through the wire but you do need to decide if you can actually live with your wires being that hot? Also how hot they actually get in prectice depends on if you have any air movement over them, ambient temperature etc.

I found what looks like a pretty good table giving temperatures against wire AWG and amps in still air: http://connectronics.thomasnet.com/A...URRENT--2-.pdf

table attached....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AWG rating.JPG
Views:	70314
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	158205  
Old 04-04-2012, 02:24 PM
Turbine

Thanks for this comprehensive and useful response, and my apologies for the delay in responding.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:00 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I think you see wide ranges of numbers quoted due to a large extend because there are different criteria for sizing. If you size the wire based on minimising voltage drop over long lengths then you will end up with quite low amp rating (how low depends on how low a voltage drop you can live with). Alternativly for short wires you might forget voltage drop and size based on how hot the wire will get, keeping it under the max temperature for the insulation type.
Silicone is good for 200C which means you can push more amps through the wire but you do need to decide if you can actually live with your wires being that hot? Also how hot they actually get in prectice depends on if you have any air movement over them, ambient temperature etc.

I found what looks like a pretty good table giving temperatures against wire AWG and amps in still air: http://connectronics.thomasnet.com/A...URRENT--2-.pdf

table attached....
That is very good information, Thanks!

Also found info on voltage drop for various sized wires. Just enter in the length of wire in feet (or meters) and the current. This website has a chart that calculates voltage drop for various sized wires that we'd use for a typical model.

http://www.stealth316.com/2-wire-resistance.htm (Ignore the fancy mathematics, and just scroll down to the first red and yellow chart, enter your wire length and current into the data entry points.)
Old 04-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Turbine

Thanks Dennis - another good and useful contribution.