Company Discussions Discuss your company experiences here.

General Hobby Rowland Heights, CA

Old 12-07-2016, 07:56 PM
Spike101

Default General Hobby Rowland Heights, CA

I received my Skyline Corvus 3D 1880mm plane today

It only took 19 days from California to Minnesota. It supposedly was IN STOCK in California.

Suggest if you buy from General Hobby you do not pay extra for 3 day priority shipping USPS because it is going to come standard shipping. And probably from China to Calif, to you. And good luck getting a response to any inquiries you have. They don't answer phone, email or by carrier pigeon.

Mine came by limping camel, that had to have been walking backwards the whole way. Okay, I feel better..lol

Packaging was okay. The box would not survive an end kick or hard drop. No padding on ends, on top, sides or bottom just cardboard. I feel lucky the box made it in one peace. about a half inch space between the end of the box and the fuselage.

To be honest towards the end I was thinking I was going to have to ask for a refund through Paypal, because I didn't think they where going to even ship it. But, happily they did and it all worked out so far.

The plane is in great condition and I am looking forward to the build over winter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN1743.JPG (969.0 KB, 182 views)
DSCN1747.JPG (927.1 KB, 179 views)
Old 12-07-2016, 10:34 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

I bought the 60inch ws Sbach and absolutly loved how it flew using a eflite power 60 with castle 90amp esc talon. A beautiful plane. CRASHED IT DO TO MECHANICL FAILURE!!!! Builder's error.

My fault 100%, used a hitec 475 servo with that control arm that comes in 2 pieces on the ailerons. she was flying rock solid for a few monthes and while just going straight and about 30 ft high rolled over and became total bin material. General Hobby shipped fast, I seem to remember the box shipped wasn't double boxed....I could be wrong it was 2 years ago.

The build was very good,and the covering was great....for $170 ,you can't build it from scratch or kit as cheap. I'v been flying multi rotors more than fixed wing lately. I wouldn't mind having one in the hanger again,but it wouldn't get flown enough.
Attached Images
DSCN1944.JPG (622.8 KB, 173 views)
DSCN2225.JPG (528.5 KB, 163 views)
DSCN2229.JPG (538.3 KB, 162 views)
Old 12-24-2016, 05:14 AM
Spike101

Default Beware of General Hobby

Very long story shortened.
I have been trying to work with Richard from General Hobby.

General Hobby
19745 Colima Road, Ste. 1-912
Rowland Heights, CA 91748

Sent many emails back and forth with him, trying to get him to send me the parts MISSING off the plane I purchased from him a month ago. He lied to me at every turn, said it wasn't part of the plane I bought. He blamed the Skyline manual and the Chinese interpreter for not stating it correctly. Until I pointed out that it states on his own website description it is part of the ARF plane I purchased.
Then he came back and said go to a hobby shop and buy the part and he will credit me towards my next plane I buy from him. lol

In my opinion, all he would have had to do was email Skyline and tell them the part was missing from my order and they would have shipped to me and it wouldn't have cost him anything. Or at least give me the customer support info for Skyline and I would have done it.

Needless to say I am never buying from General Hobby again. I should have been more diligent and looked at the internet reviews and BBB reviews first. Lesson learned.
Hope this helps the rest of you from making the same mistake as me.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:49 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Thanks Spike,

I've heard a few horror stories about them. You re-affirm. Note to self.

Hawk
Old 12-24-2016, 02:20 PM
birdDog
Charging....

...which is exactly why I have only hovered over the buy button at their site. Thanks for the heads up.

This is a shame because I can only find one other vendor (in Washington state, seems like a great guy. I got my 60" MXS from him. http://skywardhobbies.com/ ) or another seller out of Ohio that I can only find on Ebay.

In talking to a couple of friends, the biggest problems for the Skyline/Goldwing models is the lack of available spare parts.

Luckily, if the Corvus is similar to the MXS, all thrust angles are built into the firewall as my motor box is completely square and parallel. Standoffs would all be equal in length.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:08 PM
Spike101

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
...which is exactly why I have only hovered over the buy button at their site. Thanks for the heads up.

This is a shame because I can only find one other vendor (in Washington state, seems like a great guy. I got my 60" MXS from him. http://skywardhobbies.com/ ) or another seller out of Ohio that I can only find on Ebay.

In talking to a couple of friends, the biggest problems for the Skyline/Goldwing models is the lack of available spare parts.

Luckily, if the Corvus is similar to the MXS, all thrust angles are built into the firewall as my motor box is completely square and parallel. Standoffs would all be equal in length.
I like the Skyward hobby site, the engines are priced nice. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, I noticed the lack of spare parts as well. This maybe a one crash wonder or a display piece. The plane is actually well built. I will make my own engine mount assembly and move forward with my build.
I did finally get the assembly instructions for my plane from General Hobby. Only took 5 emails and 3 voice mails. Just writing the buying experience off as it could have turned out a lot worse and moving on. It was nice to be able to vent about this experience and possibly help others at the same time.
Thanks
Ken