FAA - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

FAA

Old 12-19-2017, 04:30 PM
jeholliday

Default FAA

Well I see the beauronatzis are trying to control our activities. I have been an AMA member since the mid 1950's and have never let my membership lapse. Same number all these years and kept it once I got my CD and Leader card. The first time around I refused to register as where I fly CL is no where near an air port. Unless 15 miles is near. Have had powered para sail flyers even use the field as well as some guy that fly quad copters. Thought the AMA had this all settled, but I guess some Fat Arse needs more money in his pocket. Now they say that the so called powers to be want all craft that use our air space to be registered with the FAA.

Anyway, this old man is going to dust off my RC planes, including a couple of electric powered ones that have not been in the air and start flying every chance I can. But the thought I have is if we have to register with the FAA don't we have to file a flight plan every time we fly. With the new radios and qualified pilots there could be as many as 50 planes in the air. It been done at the AMA site a few years ago. I figure if we keep them tied up with paper work they won't have time to chase their little fillies aor play golf.

By the way I've asked at several place that sell remote control aircraft if they tell the person buying it has to register it with the FAA. Several responses was what is FAA? Then I ask if they have heard of the AMA, you know the Academy of Model Aeronautics? I get another blank stare. If we could get all the free flight, control line and radio control people together and snub their noses at the beaurocrats they might just drop the silly law they are trying to come up with. I know I am not going to register with FAA as I figure my AMA license has me covered especially when I see all these RC toys going out the retailers doors. By the way local hobby shop does not even know about the FAA thing and usually don't tell the customer about AMA requirements at our designated RC field. What say guys and gals. We need Chellie flying again.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:30 PM
Stay Quiet

The FAA registration issue has been ongoing for some time. I registered when it all first started (cost me five bucks, which I got refunded for early registration) and have an FAA number that I display on all my planes. I've always flown under the AMA guidelines, so other than putting the number on my models, it hasn't affected me one bit.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:07 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Saw the blurb from the AMA about it being reinstated again by executive order.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:32 PM
Xpress..
Team Hitec, CSR

It's required for anybody wanting to operate a model 255g or more. Threats of severe fines and possibly imprisonment have been made. Flight plans are not required as these are sUAS (small Unmanned Aerial Systems) though there is still restriction on where they are allowed to fly. AMA membership is not enough to grant you a pass from FAA registration. You don't register every model, you sign up and are issued an FAA number that you then must place on your aircraft.

There are benefits to doing this, for example now your model aircraft is considered a real aircraft and you are offered more protection against would-be wrongdoers who don't want you flying around (I.e. shot out of the sky).
Old 12-19-2017, 11:32 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Of course they do this after I modified my ID stickers for my planes to remove the number. Now I have to go add it back on again.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:21 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by jeholliday View Post
Well I see the beauronatzis are trying to control our activities. I have been an AMA member since the mid 1950's and have never let my membership lapse. Same number all these years and kept it once I got my CD and Leader card. The first time around I refused to register as where I fly CL is no where near an air port. Unless 15 miles is near. Have had powered para sail flyers even use the field as well as some guy that fly quad copters. Thought the AMA had this all settled, but I guess some Fat Arse needs more money in his pocket. Now they say that the so called powers to be want all craft that use our air space to be registered with the FAA.

Anyway, this old man is going to dust off my RC planes, including a couple of electric powered ones that have not been in the air and start flying every chance I can. But the thought I have is if we have to register with the FAA don't we have to file a flight plan every time we fly. With the new radios and qualified pilots there could be as many as 50 planes in the air. It been done at the AMA site a few years ago. I figure if we keep them tied up with paper work they won't have time to chase their little fillies aor play golf.

By the way I've asked at several place that sell remote control aircraft if they tell the person buying it has to register it with the FAA. Several responses was what is FAA? Then I ask if they have heard of the AMA, you know the Academy of Model Aeronautics? I get another blank stare. If we could get all the free flight, control line and radio control people together and snub their noses at the beaurocrats they might just drop the silly law they are trying to come up with. I know I am not going to register with FAA as I figure my AMA license has me covered especially when I see all these RC toys going out the retailers doors. By the way local hobby shop does not even know about the FAA thing and usually don't tell the customer about AMA requirements at our designated RC field. What say guys and gals. We need Chellie flying again.
I Hate being Controlled by Big Brother, Thats why I quit flying RC, Fudge Them LOL
Old 12-21-2017, 02:40 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

"Executive order" huh? Well then, if that's true and you don't like it then just blame the executive and those who voted for him.

>end of mini-rant<
Old 12-21-2017, 04:57 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Well I see the beauronatzis are trying to control our activities. I have been an AMA member since the mid 1950's
Well times have changed significantly since the 50's. In the 50's you could smoke anywhere, or you would have to be the government with a government budget to deign and build a guided missile. Today a 15 year old kid could do it for less than $1000 at a toy store. Does not even need to know how to fly. Heck in the 50's alcohol was the leading cause of death and injury in automobile accidents. Today it is a cell phone and the internet.

Anyway to register is painless, one time event that cost you nothing but a few minutes of your time. When it boils right down to it the only additional requirement is placing two ID numbers on your aircraft instead of just one (AMA Policy Number). If you are a law abiding US citizen, you really do not have anything complain or worry about.

Like a drivers license, you are not entitled to have a driving license, it is a privilege granted that you have to earn and qualify.

By the way I've asked at several place that sell remote control aircraft if they tell the person buying it has to register it with the FAA.
Not their job to educate you. They could careless, they are in biz to make money, not nanny service. Look I am not fond of it, but it is no big deal to comply with.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:51 PM
formontoya

Yea, the FAA number was $5/3 yrs, the AMA I just renewed was $85/1 yr...both are relatively painless to do. As the saying goes "you have to pay to play" and more people have their hands out than back in the 50s. But RC cost are dramatically down. 25 yrs ago me a buddy tried to get into RC and a RTF was fuel and a startup cost of roughly $600 for a "cheap" trainer. Today I can buy any number of RTF electric (much cleaner) w/multiple levels f/beginner to advanced that can basically fly for me to start for less than $200.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:59 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Yeah, the AMA charges $85 a year for membership, normally I would say that's a lot. However since being an AMA member gives me a discount on my auto insurance that amounts to even more than $85, the AMA is effectively paying me to be a member!