Windows 10 - any users had trouble ? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Windows 10 - any users had trouble ?

Old 08-06-2015, 05:44 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default Windows 10 - any users had trouble ?

I have few days ago received my free Win 10 upgrade ..... seems OK - but I did knock out Windows reporting .....
I'm hearing bad things from our IT guy about compatibility between offices with 7 .. 8 and upgraded offices with 10.

Anyone else seen any trouble or know issues ?

Nigel
Old 08-06-2015, 06:14 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Every even number version of Windows has been a fail... I learned to skip the even numbers.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:46 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Every even number version of Windows has been a fail... I learned to skip the even numbers.
Interesting .... just thinking back .....

Original first Windows .............. UGH !!
Windows 2 .... not much better.
Win 3 ... starting to make sense but still memory allocation of MSDos
Win 3.1 .... couldn't see point of it.
Win WFWG (3.1 with network enhancements !!!) .... crap !
95 ... good ...
97 ... OK ...
97v2 ... better but then many devices were unable to work with it and needed to be replaced ... Scanners, Printers etc.
98 ... better ...
98v2 .... last of the dinosaurs basically.
Then we went through the NAME game where US Copyright said names only
.... with the terrible Vista's, Millenium etc.
Win 2000 ... OH my - what crap !! but became the basis of all after it once memory allocation was re-arranged ....

XP ... in my view possibly about the best they did ...

Win 7 .... clean but something didn't feel right.

Win 8 ............. OH why did I ever install it ??

Win 8.1 - supposed to clean up and sort 8 ... did I miss out there, didn't appear to be any different !! Machine still had mysterious lock-outs etc.

Now we have Win 10 ... I have 3 pc's with free updates offered .. and I have only updated 1 .... so far annoying and making me question why I accepted it !!

Personal views ...

My all-time favourite was DR-DOS ..... and Netscape.

Nigel
Old 08-06-2015, 09:25 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Best power GUI operating system vs overhead was OS-2 Warp. 1/10 the overhead of Win95.

I ran a test (was given both Win95 and OS-2 Warp free pre-release for doing reviews)

Win95 on a 486-25, 8 mb RAM 40 mb HD (was a pretty good machine for the time)
OS-2 on a 386-16, 4mb RAM, 30 mb HD (cutting edge of obsolete)
Then loaded Win95 in virtual machine on the 386 under OS-2

The 386 outran the 486 in every test I could come up with... running the same Windows programs in both machines at the same time.

I still have the 486 I ran the tests on.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:40 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I still have a 286 with twin floppy and NO hard drive. A 386sx ... a 486sx ... a 486DX ... various others with 95 ... 97 ... 97v2 etc.

The 486DX - I want to resurrect but needs board battery and BIOS sorted ... as it has one of the worlds best games on ... Wing Commander ...

I've tried it in Dosbox on later machines but its just impossibly fast and cannot be played properly.

I did have an original PC Junior ... fore-runner of PC's as we know today ... but gave it to a pal in UK as a souvenir ! In fact I had Vic 20 ... Commodore 64 ... etc. as well ... Still have the cassettes of basic programs and reader !

Showing my age now !!

Nigel
Old 08-06-2015, 09:49 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

I still have tapes for a Timex Sinclair

I should have the discs to recover the 486 DX (well, 90% of them) if the hardware is sound... backed up to CDR

Need to boot up the old 486 to move files to the floppies. They won't transfer if made on a newer machine.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:47 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
I still have tapes for a Timex Sinclair

I should have the discs to recover the 486 DX (well, 90% of them) if the hardware is sound... backed up to CDR

Need to boot up the old 486 to move files to the floppies. They won't transfer if made on a newer machine.
If that's an offer to sort ... many thanks but I have loads of access to IT guys and various that when I can be botheredto get of my fat ***** - can fix it !!

Cheers

Nigel
Old 08-06-2015, 04:34 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Wow,

We're showing our age here. My first computer circa 1979 was the Kaypro luggable with CPM. CPM was actually a great OS. Pre PC and DOS days. My boss at the time was in the original TRS-80 Model 1 club in Illinois and taught me Basic. Talk about hobbyists. Then came the IBM PC with DOS and it changed everything. In 1986, I bought a MAC. Geez, Desktop icons ! Thought I was in seventh heaven.

I'm still in awe at how technology has progressed in 35 years. Programmers in the early days were actually more skilled than today as they had very little memory to work with. 8 bit machines.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:42 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I was producing reports for Saudi on CPM Amstrads !!

When Co. had 286's sent to us ... they stayed in the boxes for ages - we were afraid to touch them !

During Gulf War 1 - I made my reports on a 286 Notebook .... boy was that a POS !! Battery life of about 5 mins ... black and white mono screen only !! MS-DOS 3 ....

nigel
Old 08-06-2015, 05:05 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

For those who may be wondering what to expect from the free Windows 10 conversions if currently using Win 7 or Win 8............:

http://www.windowscentral.com/window...know-upgrading

That link covers most common issues......however, it does not discuss what the new Windows 10 users should be aware of in the future.....:

There will be subscription fees required in order to keep all updates current.

The Bing search tool cannot be deactivated,

If you intend to use the older Media Center applications, it will not be available or transferable with Win 10.

Several common media drivers and applications like Blue Tooth, Wi-Fi, Flash, and a few Adobe tools will require separate driver installations that may or may not function seamlessly.

It will be much more difficult to shut down Internet data collecting "spy ware".......even if Internet advanced settings are turned on to "delete" history.........Windows 10 is an advanced and sophisticated browser data collector. thanks to it's recent huge financial partnerships with Google and Firefox.....yes, even Firefox got a piece of the action........

There's more to consider.........my IT consultant advised me to stick with Windows 7 Pro until it no longer is serviceable.....and when the time comes, DO NOT download the electronic version of Win 10 Pro, buy the hard disk copy and pay a little more for the advanced service agreement, since I run my business on Windows OS's and it is the life blood of my PC use for pleasure as well........
Old 08-06-2015, 05:29 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Linux.

Stuff it Mocro$oft.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:37 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

If it wasn't for some of my windows only programs, like my Real-flight 6.5 and AutoCAD, I would not bother with Microsoft.

I have been running Ubuntu, which is of course a Linux based program, since March, and I know several of you on Wattflyer use it also.
I love it and so does my PC, which if I try to run it on Win 7 Pro 64 bit, it stumbles all over itself and aborts loading or stops in the middle of things. PC repair shops couldn't fix it. It must be a driver issue, but to have those kind of problems, 10 minutes after doing a clean install, is stupid.

Ubuntu runs so smooth I think even my fan makes less noise.

I too started with a Radio Shack TRS computer class, then Vic 20, Commodore 64, a pre 286 thing I don't remember, a true IBM 286, a 486sx, several home-built PC's starting with a Pentium 133 up to an AMD quad core that without Ubuntu, I would have shot with my 357 by now.

I though personal computers were supposed to make our life easier, what went wrong there
Old 08-06-2015, 07:17 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

I run Auto Cad, Micro Station and a few GIS mapping software programs....geographic marketing and Civil Engineering design applications...........Ubuntu has not developed anything commercially that can interface with any of the above without the user needing a PhD in computer science..........guess it's ok for the individuals who spend most of their time logged onto web site forums and (chatting) E-mailing buddies with hobby advise........

Even interface with media applications (particularly music and video re-mix and transposing) is a pain with Linux......I had it loaded on my Mac (which I use extensively for recording and mixing) for a short period of time......open source support for such is damn near impossible. Wasn't long before I threw-in the towel, deleted everything related to Ubuntu and stuck with NCH Mac........!
Old 08-08-2015, 03:12 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I only use Ubuntu online, but I agree there are many things it can't run. There is a windows emulator but I hear it is not perfect.

I have a 32 bit PC not connected to the net with my music and pictures, it also runs my AutoCAD, and Realflight but MS PC's get infected so quickly online that the only time I do that is to register a program if it won't run without talking to home base.

My 64 but PC with Win 7 pro has been nothing but a migraine, it passed being a headache about 30 minutes after I built it.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:32 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

A thread with some tips for 10.

http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.p...;topicseen#new

Another thread.
http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=14990.0

Wasn't happy when I read this. http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...d-you-upgrade/
Old 08-08-2015, 01:31 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

MS has been peddling crappy software on the public for decades ... using the Public as Beta testers ... privacy invasions .... IE and Win talking back to Ms and 3rd parties .........

People go on as though its never happened before - that's its revelations !

Given that the whole arena we inhabit is one big huge observable bubble ... MS is a dip in the ocean and most of MS spying can be turned of anyway.

My biggest complaint now is when I switch on my Win 10 notebook ... I get a black blank screen ... I have to press power button twice again to get logon screen ...

Nigel
Old 08-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Wrongway-Feldman

About the only thing I still use Windows for as a dedicated OS is gaming.
All my other pc's, including my HTPC in the living room run flavours of Linux suited to the needs of that particular pc.
If I dop have need of a Windows specific program I run it in virtualbox from Linux.
The HTPC box has always been a nagging problem cause programs like xbmc/kodi just work better in Linux but there had never been Linux support for Netflix.
Till now. Netflix now works in Linux with the chrome browser in Ubuntu so even my HTPC is a dedicated Linux box.
As soon as virtualbox or its like can crack the hurdle of accessing the video hardware layer directly even gaming can be migrated to Linux. That would be a joyous day of much drinking and merriment.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:14 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by Wrongway-Feldman View Post
programs like xbmc/kodi just work better in Linux
So KODI works in Linux? I should have been paying more attention. I just checked and ROKU is Linux compatible as well. Funny how you get blinded by Windows. Just about three weeks ago I built a new desktop system for the "office" with 4.25 TB storage. It also doubles as my PLEX/ROKU/KODI server. I've ripped all of mine and my kids DVD's to it. Couldn't figure out what to do with the old box so I put Vista on it and put it in the living room as the HTPC and Ethernet connected it to the server. Vista is fine because it doesn't have to do much work in this capacity. I played with Ubuntu a few years back and loved it except on the main box I couldn't use my Windows flight sims and games. I hate dual booting because I always end up booting to the O.S. I didn't want at the time. I may format and install Ubuntu on the HTPC and give it a try.

As far as Win10 goes I'm quite underwhelmed. The upgrade went smoothly with no snags at all. Very surprising for Windows. Win10 drivers are not out there in force yet but I did get the Win10 ATI Catalyst and Realtek audio drivers. Even after driver updates everything is noticeably slower than Win7. Even page loads were slower regardless what browser I was using. Real flight and Microsoft Flight Sim 2004 as well as most of my other games/sims refused to run no matter what I tried. Random BSOD's. I can't remember seeing a BSOD since Win95! There are a few cool things in Win10 but I would never run out and pay money to upgrade to it. In fact I went back to Win7 yesterday and am perfectly happy to stay with this O.S. Unless they make some MAJOR Win10 improvements I'll keep Win7 for a long time just like XP on my dedicated battery/motor/ESC testing box. Win10 being free doesn't necessarily mean better. At least not as far as I'm concerned.

Joe
Old 08-09-2015, 08:19 PM
Wrongway-Feldman

To make your Linux kodi install easier, just download the kodibuntu image.
It's a streamlined Ubuntu that boots directly to kodi.
Getting Netflix to work in kodibuntu takes a bit more work though.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:31 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

The upgrade went fine for me going from 8.1 on my main laptop. So far I like it a LOT better than 8.1 - plus the laptop runs noticeably faster than it did on 8.1.

I also upgraded an older win7 machine and had no issues there either. It also seems to run faster but not as big a difference.

Oh - did have to install a new printer driver for my Epson 545 on the win8.1 machine.

The new Edge browser sucks though
Old 08-10-2015, 10:42 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I just wish I could stop the annoying habit of my machine now ...

From cold ... I press Power button. Machine sounds as its whirring up the HDD ... () it then stays black blank screen.

I press the power button again and after a few sec's - power button is blinking as if its on stby. I press power button again and login screen shows.

I've searched online ... I've looked at What happens when I press Power Button etc. etc. .................. no solution found ... HELP !!

Nigel
Old 08-18-2015, 01:21 AM
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

I installed it and after three days, I rolled it back to Windows 7. What a disappointment this one was. The worse thing of all, is that ALL the music in my iTunes is gone!! iTunes can't find any of my files. I have never been one to get the newest version right away, but with this one, I figured what the heck, it's free. Well, I think I got what I paid for.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:52 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Only roll-back I have on my 10 machine is the even worse 8.1 !

The main thing I don't like is the start / a ops screen .... I don't want boxes of what THEY think I should have . The simple XP / Win7 styles were sensible and much better.

Nigel
Old 08-19-2015, 12:55 AM
Wisc-BK
Watch this........:-(

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post

The main thing I don't like is the start / a ops screen .... I don't want boxes of what THEY think I should have . The simple XP / Win7 styles were sensible and much better.

Nigel
Just right click on them and delete them.... they are still in the "All Apps" part of the start menu, then you can resize the start menu to be like it used to be....
Old 08-19-2015, 01:12 AM
birdDog
Charging....

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post

Nigel
That's a major gripe I have with 8. I want my icons and shortcuts to have identities, not be different colored squares. Plus they are ugly as heck.

Quick Reply: Windows 10 - any users had trouble ?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14984 seconds with 12 queries