power system goes to full throttle but wont stay there - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

power system goes to full throttle but wont stay there

Old 01-23-2011, 01:53 AM
e-pilot
Club Officer

Question power system goes to full throttle but wont stay there

Just for fun I busted out one of my old trainers the other day. The last time she flew she was flawless - no probs at all. Now she does this: ESC arms normally, Full throttle is applied at the transmitter, the power systems spins up to full throttle and then over a period of 5 seconds or so, slows to about 60% of throttle and stays there. This occurs with any battery I use. All are good and are in use in other aircraft without problem. I have removed the cowling and tested it to ensure absolutely nothing is binding. The motor spins freely with the brake off - no binding. I have never come across anything like this. Anybody?
Old 01-23-2011, 03:21 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by e-pilot View Post
Just for fun I busted out one of my old trainers the other day. The last time she flew she was flawless - no probs at all. Now she does this: ESC arms normally, Full throttle is applied at the transmitter, the power systems spins up to full throttle and then over a period of 5 seconds or so, slows to about 60% of throttle and stays there. This occurs with any battery I use. All are good and are in use in other aircraft without problem. I have removed the cowling and tested it to ensure absolutely nothing is binding. The motor spins freely with the brake off - no binding. I have never come across anything like this. Anybody?
your ESC could be getting weak, Check your amp Draw with a Wattmeter, it might be to high, try another ESC, check all of your connections to make sure that they are tight, esc to motor, and check your battery connection to ESC, also, reset your ESC throttle end points, hope that helps, Chellie

crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona WingNutz

Awards Showcase

Friends: (20)

Ken,

Here's the basics for setting your throttle end points in an ESC:

1 - Turn radio on and move throttle to "full".

2 - Plug in your battery to the ESC.

3 - Your ESC should emit a series of beeps. You should initially hear two long beeps, followed by two short beeps. After the two short beeps move the throttle to fully closed (don't mess with the throttle trim at all, leave it at the center position).

Your ESC should then be set to your transmitters throttle end points.

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Old 01-23-2011, 03:49 AM
e-pilot
Club Officer

Red face Found the problem

Thanks Chellie, this problem was so weird I took a walk over to a friends house and borrowed one of his batteries just to make darn sure it wasn't that. Well, guess what, it was that. Apparently all my 11.1 1800mAh decided to give up the ghost at the same time. I have been flying these batteries in other planes and they still fly and charge fine, but I guess the other planes don't pull as much power so the problem wasn't apparent. A new 11.1 1800mAh and full throttle stays full now. I do have a LOT of flights on these batts. I guess they don't last forever.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:01 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by e-pilot View Post
Thanks Chellie, this problem was so weird I took a walk over to a friends house and borrowed one of his batteries just to make darn sure it wasn't that. Well, guess what, it was that. Apparently all my 11.1 1800mAh decided to give up the ghost at the same time. I have been flying these batteries in other planes and they still fly and charge fine, but I guess the other planes don't pull as much power so the problem wasn't apparent. A new 11.1 1800mAh and full throttle stays full now. I do have a LOT of flights on these batts. I guess they don't last forever.
Thats what I thought the problem was, a sagging battery, but since you tried other batteries, I thought the problem might be some place else, Glad you got it going, Yea Batteries dont last forever, i had to buy 2 more 1300 Mah 3 cell 25C lipos, I cant complain, they lasted for over 2 years and they are starting to get weak, you got to love Zippy, Rhino and Turnigy Lipos Take care and Have fun, Chellie

Last edited by CHELLIE; 01-23-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:20 PM
cliffh

You might want to try your friends battery charger on your batteries. It could be that there is a problem with your charger and your charger is not fully charging one of the cells.

It still seems odd that all your batterys would suddenly develope the same problem on their own.

Cliff
Old 01-23-2011, 04:03 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

If batteries work fine with your other planes, it sounds like they just lack sufficient C rating for this plane. Worth checking voltages after charging to make sure your charger is working correctly.

Clint