Build report: Hobby-Lobby F-16 Pusher Jet - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Build report: Hobby-Lobby F-16 Pusher Jet

Old 05-19-2008, 04:17 AM
michael7810

Default Build report: Hobby-Lobby F-16 Pusher Jet

I picked this up at the crash sale a couple weeks ago and finished the build this weekend. Flying weather is almost over in </O:p
I had planned to build it with two servos (1 for each elevator) and either rig the ailerons to work with the elevators OR rig the elevators as elevons. I though I could just add the aileron servo later if it didnít fly right. That was the plan; but the first step is to install the aileron servo because the forward and aft fuselage pieces and both wings bury the servo. Plan B; I traced all the foam parts on cardboard so I could build another jet later after seeing how it flies build per the plans.
<O</O
The only issue with the parts was aileron push rods were too short which required about a 1.5-inch extension.
<O</O
This is my first foamie build so I experimented with gorilla glue, FSCA, and epoxy. I tried mixing the GG with water (I read that somewhere) which was a mistake for this application. That has got to be the stickiest stuff on earth. I found 20-minute epoxy for the parts I could let set overnight and 5-minute epoxy for the parts I had to hold together worked best. I used FSCA to fasten the elevator servos. Next time I will skip the GGÖlessons learned.
<O</O
The rest of the build was easy following the instructions. The only piece of data the instructions lacked was control surface throws. It ended up with 3/8-in on the elevators and 5/8-in for the ailerons. AUW is 13.25 oz. The crash sale included a LittleScreamer Park Jet motor (MMC2800) that advertises to pull 180 watts. That would fly my 48-inch Super Sportster!! I installed a 6x4 prop and at full power with a 3S Lipo it pulls 17 Amps. Just short of the 18 amp max according to the instructions. The area around the motor buzzes pretty loud (more like barks like a dog) above 12 amps. Iím not sure how will be in flight. Iíll beef up the elevator area with carbon rods on my next build (or first rebuild). <O</O
<O </O
Iíve included some pictures of the completed project. I used a 3S1P2100 Lipo close to the nose to get the CG at the recommended 8 cm back from the leading edge. <O</O
<O </O
Iíve never flown anything like this so any tips from the readers will be appreciated. I have a fair amount of time with trainer and sport models but Iím a little nervous with this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6874.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	66454

Name:	IMG_6867.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	66455

Name:	IMG_6868.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	66456

Name:	IMG_6869.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	66457

Name:	IMG_6870.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	66458

Name:	IMG_6875.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	66459

Name:	IMG_6865.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	66460

Name:	IMG_6866.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	66461

Name:	IMG_6862.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	66462

Old 06-01-2008, 03:54 PM
oct2633

Smile Good Build

Originally Posted by michael7810 View Post
I picked this up at the crash sale a couple weeks ago and finished the build this weekend. Flying weather is almost over in </O:p
I had planned to build it with two servos (1 for each elevator) and either rig the ailerons to work with the elevators OR rig the elevators as elevons. I though I could just add the aileron servo later if it didn’t fly right. That was the plan; but the first step is to install the aileron servo because the forward and aft fuselage pieces and both wings bury the servo. Plan B; I traced all the foam parts on cardboard so I could build another jet later after seeing how it flies build per the plans.
<O</O
The only issue with the parts was aileron push rods were too short which required about a 1.5-inch extension.
<O</O
This is my first foamie build so I experimented with gorilla glue, FSCA, and epoxy. I tried mixing the GG with water (I read that somewhere) which was a mistake for this application. That has got to be the stickiest stuff on earth. I found 20-minute epoxy for the parts I could let set overnight and 5-minute epoxy for the parts I had to hold together worked best. I used FSCA to fasten the elevator servos. Next time I will skip the GG…lessons learned.
<O</O
The rest of the build was easy following the instructions. The only piece of data the instructions lacked was control surface throws. It ended up with 3/8-in on the elevators and 5/8-in for the ailerons. AUW is 13.25 oz. The crash sale included a LittleScreamer Park Jet motor (MMC2800) that advertises to pull 180 watts. That would fly my 48-inch Super Sportster!! I installed a 6x4 prop and at full power with a 3S Lipo it pulls 17 Amps. Just short of the 18 amp max according to the instructions. The area around the motor buzzes pretty loud (more like barks like a dog) above 12 amps. I’m not sure how will be in flight. I’ll beef up the elevator area with carbon rods on my next build (or first rebuild). <O</O
<O </O
I’ve included some pictures of the completed project. I used a 3S1P2100 Lipo close to the nose to get the CG at the recommended 8 cm back from the leading edge. <O</O
<O </O
I’ve never flown anything like this so any tips from the readers will be appreciated. I have a fair amount of time with trainer and sport models but I’m a little nervous with this one.

Attachment 66454

Attachment 66455

Attachment 66456

Attachment 66457

Attachment 66458

Attachment 66459

Attachment 66460

Attachment 66461

Attachment 66462

Looks to me like an excellent build job Michael. Should fly well. Did you try low temp hot melt? Give us a flight report!

Last edited by oct2633; 06-01-2008 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Added suggestions