Anybody have a Airfoilz ?? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Anybody have a Airfoilz ??

Old 01-12-2007, 06:26 AM
BobbyDog
Crazy Canuck

Arrow Anybody have a Airfoilz ??

Hello everyone,

Well I recieved my new Airfoilz Yak 54 this afternoon. Unfortunately the damn cd manual has a glitch and wont read. Most of the videos wont play for more than a few seconds either. If anyone has a leftover cd I'd apprectiate it if you could send me the .pdf for the manual on the Yak. I'm sure I can build it without but it would be nice to have a look at it anyway. My E-mail is seawaywelding@hotmail.com . Thanks in advance.

Bobbydog

P.S. I dont need/want the videos or anything other than the Yak manual. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

When I got mine it came with paper manual. Wonder when they started using CD's?
Old 01-12-2007, 05:13 PM
MTwallet
Born to fly

Originally Posted by Rugar View Post
Mine was a paper manual too.

I think maybe it's getting to be cheaper to burn a CD now-a-days than to print on all that paper.

Printing ink can get expensive. CD's are cheap.

For instance...
It costs me $60 for ink for my little Epson printer. I could probably print out 100 manuals I guess. At a cost of about $.60 per.
I can get 100 blank CD's for about $10 and burn manuals with more information, better quality pictures, and possibly some animations for about $.06 per.

At least that's how I see it.

Sorry BobbyDog, but I can't help ya either.

MT
Old 01-12-2007, 06:42 PM
JRich
Foamy!

http://www.airfoilz.com/manuals/yak54-ver2.1.pdf

Here is the manual.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:21 AM
BobbyDog
Crazy Canuck

Hey thanks anyways boyz. I'm not sure why I didnt think of looking at Airfoilz site, must be getting old Thanks JRich!

Bobbydog
Old 01-13-2007, 02:32 AM
JRich
Foamy!

No problem. You're gonna have fun with that Yak
Old 01-13-2007, 02:44 AM
Gary Hoorn
Chesepeake Bay RC Club

Bobby,
You will enjoy your Yak. Build it carefully and you will be rewarded with a great flying plane. I have so many flights on mine it is getting a bit battered but still flies great.
Gary
Old 01-14-2007, 07:45 AM
BobbyDog
Crazy Canuck

Arrow Not worth the money :(

Hello everyone,

Well I'm not too impressed by this kit at all. First off the color scheme is nothing like the picture on the package. I hate it to be honest. I'll be painting it instead. The next thing is that the wing spar balsa is badly warped and I'm not sure I'll be able to use it. I guess I'll have to go to the hobby store and grab some new stuff. If you go to the Airfoilz website and read the reviews and kit contents, it shows ply construction and proper pin hinges. Unfortunately, neither of those are true. They come with very thin plastic laser cut "burnt" servo mounts, motor mount doublers, etc that are so thin they are similar to a plastic milk jug. Imagine screwing your servos into a milk jug and thats what its like. The hinges are some crappy plastic stamped out things that have so much resistance the servos would be slowed by half. I wouldnt be too worried about it except that I paid $80 cdn and expected to get some quality stuff for that. Am I wrong? They have obviously changed this kit since making their website and havent bothered to change the supply list on the package. Anyway, just thought some of you might be thinking of buying this plane and deserve to know exactly what you are getting in the kit. I think I would look at other options had I known the truth.

Bobbydog
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hinges.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	21875   Click image for larger version

Name:	plastic servo mounts.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	21876  
Old 01-14-2007, 04:51 PM
JRich
Foamy!

My spar was kind of warped, but after CA'ing it straight now. I got the white plastic too and they're holding up pretty well. As for the hinges I used some DuBro mini hinges because they supplied some POS hinges. I was a little disappointed that they didn't change the supply list too, but after it was built it flies very well.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:25 PM
king160woody
3D low n' slow!!

If you havn't painted the plane yet, you can contact paul from the email at the airfoilz site and he would send out any decals you want. The plastic is there because it makes it blend in better the the plane as well as have strength for the motor mount. I have yet to hear of anyone having problems with the strength of the plastic pieces. The new hinges are to make it easier to install without the worry of glueing the hinge, like some people did on the the pin hinges where some people messed up and glued the hinges straight. Once you bend them back and forth they loosen up pretty good.

Last edited by king160woody; 01-18-2007 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:58 PM
BobbyDog
Crazy Canuck

I did end up using the plastic for the engine mount doublers and landing gear doublers, and it seems like it should be strong enough, but time will tell. Its just so thin I dont trust it like I would light ply which I've used before. For the servos though I used some ply. We'll have to dissagree on the hinges though, I bent them back and forth a hundred times and they are still a thousand times stiffer than pinned hinges. I just think that the package and website should tell you exactly what you are getting so the consumer can decide if plastic doublers and moulded plastic hinges are good enough.

Anyway, the plane turned out great and I cant wait to fly it.

Bobbydog

Last edited by BobbyDog; 01-20-2007 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:23 PM
3dfoamworks

Originally Posted by BobbyDog View Post
Hello everyone,

Well I recieved my new Airfoilz Yak 54 this afternoon. Unfortunately the damn cd manual has a glitch and wont read. Most of the videos wont play for more than a few seconds either. If anyone has a leftover cd I'd apprectiate it if you could send me the .pdf for the manual on the Yak. I'm sure I can build it without but it would be nice to have a look at it anyway. My E-mail is seawaywelding@hotmail.com . Thanks in advance.

Bobbydog

P.S. I dont need/want the videos or anything other than the Yak manual. Thanks.

The manual is on the site- https://www.3dxhobbies.com/Articles.asp?ID=126
Old 01-18-2007, 06:29 PM
3dfoamworks

Hello everyone,

Well I'm not too impressed by this kit at all. First off the color scheme is nothing like the picture on the package. I hate it to be honest. I'll be painting it instead. The next thing is that the wing spar balsa is badly warped and I'm not sure I'll be able to use it. I guess I'll have to go to the hobby store and grab some new stuff. If you go to the Airfoilz website and read the reviews and kit contents, it shows ply construction and proper pin hinges. Unfortunately, neither of those are true. They come with very thin plastic laser cut "burnt" servo mounts, motor mount doublers, etc that are so thin they are similar to a plastic milk jug. Imagine screwing your servos into a milk jug and thats what its like. The hinges are some crappy plastic stamped out things that have so much resistance the servos would be slowed by half. I wouldnt be too worried about it except that I paid $80 cdn and expected to get some quality stuff for that. Am I wrong? They have obviously changed this kit since making their website and havent bothered to change the supply list on the package. Anyway, just thought some of you might be thinking of buying this plane and deserve to know exactly what you are getting in the kit. I think I would look at other options had I known the truth.

Bobbydog
Sorry you not happy with the kit, we have not gotten to updating everything about the kit as we have had no time, we sell 25-50 kits a week, and manufacutre them in th USA. The discreptions are clear as to what is included, as is the manual, yes we know that the pictures are not up to date but the partss list is.
If your not happy SEND my plane back, I rather that than get bad mouthed for it.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:30 PM
3dfoamworks

I did end up using the plastic for the engine mount doublers and landing gear doublers, and it seems like it should be strong enough, but time will tell. Its just so thin I dont trust it like I would light ply which I've used before. For the servos though I used some ply. We'll have to dissagree on the hinges though, I bent them back and forth a hundred times and they are still a thousand times stiffer than pinned hinges. Woody I'm not sure why you think I glued a pinned hinge straight, I've never said I have. I just think that the package and website should tell you exactly what you are getting so the consumer can decide if plastic doublers and moulded plastic hinges are good enough.

Anyway, the plane turned out great and I cant wait to fly it.

Bobbydog

They work better than the pin hinges as they provide dampping, of the control. They have been tested and show no lose of performace.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:32 PM
3dfoamworks

We are going to a CD for all kits once our build video is done and our flight videos are done. Some kits have gotten one or the other.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:25 PM
BobbyDog
Crazy Canuck

Paul, I bought the kit because it a really nice plane, but if everyone had the same amount of problems I did you wouldnt sell many of them at all. I can live with warped balsa and bad instruction cd, these things happen and I could have got a replacement I'm sure if I had asked, but false advertisement is something that really gets me going. I was expecting one thing and I got another. Thats not my opinion, thats fact. It irrelevent that you think the hinges are better, or that you think the plastic doublers are good enough. Thats not what I paid for. I see you changed some info on the website, which is why I posted what I did.

That being said, I just got back from maidening the Yak, and you'll have to rip it from my cold dead hands to get it back. Its an awesome plane
Old 01-18-2007, 09:59 PM
3dfoamworks

That being said, I just got back from maidening the Yak, and you'll have to rip it from my cold dead hands to get it back. Its an awesome plane

that's funny because I was talking to my designer and said that once you flew it you wouldn't give it up.

Airfoilz is not perfect, we are a small company and I personally spend every waking moment running this company. The points you made are valid, but no one here is trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes, their is so many threads and descussion on the planes, that nothng is hidden. As you know we make these in the US NOT china, so cost is a important factor in producing the plane, for the amount of labor and quaility this plane should be sold for much more.

The overwelming comments I get via email and phone calls is how high the quaility of the kits is and how impressed they are with the build and performace of the plane.

We are working on updating the sites, manual etc but because of the discussion forums, they provide the most up to date info. Since we launched the planes we are always playing catch-up. We have combat plane we have not even relased yet becuae of the overweling success of the Yak and Edge.

I have provided a live chat, my phone nunmber and email to provide 24/7 support. I'd rather lose some money than have a unhappy customer.

Glad I can't take the plane out of your hands, hope you enjoy the plane.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Fangar
Bank Robber

I'll chime in here too...

At first I was a little dissapointed with the hinges that came with the kit as I had seen the others on the site. The plastic pieces fpr the servo mounts, nose doubler etc in my opinion are better than the ply. After using the hinges that came with the plane kit, they work just fine. There is no slowing in controls evident as compared to the other hinges that I have used with glow planes. I have the Edge 540 and this plane rocks!

Glad that you like it as much as I do!

Cheers,

JamesM
Old 01-24-2007, 07:40 PM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Fangar View Post
I'll chime in here too...

At first I was a little dissapointed with the hinges that came with the kit as I had seen the others on the site. The plastic pieces fpr the servo mounts, nose doubler etc in my opinion are better than the ply. After using the hinges that came with the plane kit, they work just fine. There is no slowing in controls evident as compared to the other hinges that I have used with glow planes. I have the Edge 540 and this plane rocks!

Glad that you like it as much as I do!

Cheers,

JamesM

Welcome to WattFlyer James!
Thanks for your input!
Old 01-24-2007, 07:58 PM
Fangar
Bank Robber

Welcome to WattFlyer James!
Thanks for your input!
Thanks!

Cheers,

James
Old 02-05-2007, 06:19 AM
mannyh

Default airfoilz edge

Me too: noticed hinges a little stiff, I spent a little time and loosened them up! My opinion is ,there is good value in the "kit" .
My plane is ready to maiden as well!
I think this little plane is gonna be a lot of fun!
If it flies as good as I think its gonna , There will be a yak in the mail too!
We are still in dead of winter here and I dont enjoy flyin in the cold!

I am lookin forward to the day>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
manny
Old 02-05-2007, 07:00 AM
BobbyDog
Crazy Canuck

Wow, by the sounds of it these hinges are awesome! I'm surprised that Airfoilz are the only people in the market using them? I only worked them back and forth a hundred times, guess I should have done it two hundred Oh well, the pinned hinges I put in like the ones they use in glow planes are getting me by.

Bob
Old 12-25-2017, 08:04 PM
Rsog

Boy do I miss these planes. I have 5 of them and a Katana still in the box. If they were still available I'd by 5 more. I've been flying for 35 years and these were the most fun to build and fly.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:18 PM
airfoilz

I still have the equipment after 10 years I stopped making them, maybe I could get them going again?
Old 12-30-2017, 01:42 PM
stemo99

Thumbs up

If you did, I'll et many would be interested. I know I would be.