Piper Cub recommendations - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Piper Cub recommendations

Old 07-01-2016, 06:59 PM
Floydian70

Default Piper Cub recommendations

Hey I've only really flown 3D planes and I actually got a Piper Cub together a 3 Channel. I want to fly it and it was really weird not having ailerons. Should probably take more time getting my head around it before I try again. I was wondering if somebody could recommend starting rates and Expo. And also should I have a slow flyer prop or just a regular electric prop? Thank you very much. Name is Matt by the way.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:13 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

I'm assuming you are flying mode 2 but since I don't know where you are it is just a guess. Normally with mode 2 if you are flying a three channel you put the rudder on the right stick.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:19 PM
Floydian70

Default That's what I was going to do

Wasn't sure if it was recommendable but I now have confirmation. Thank you.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:38 PM
formontoya

it's always seemed weird to me that most with a 3 channel R/E put the rudder on the right stick, even for mode 2. it just seems that it would be easy to dumb thumb it by constantly working that left stick while nothing's happening...or get used to the rudder on the right and then having to use the left on a 4 channel.

The only 3 channel I have is a wing with elevons and E/A are on the right anyway but would probably keep the rudder on the left as that's where I'm use to it being...

I'm mode 2
Old 07-01-2016, 08:41 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Hobby zone cub ? My first plane when I got back in the hobby after a 30 year hiatus. So you know, there a rather detailed You tube series on modding this plane. Mine had ACT, was 27ghz, etc. I cut ailerons in mine, batt tray mod, . Easy to do and made the plane more fun.

Hawk
Old 07-01-2016, 09:46 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by formontoya View Post
it's always seemed weird to me that most with a 3 channel R/E put the rudder on the right stick, even for mode 2...
Mode 2 of course has ailerons and elevator on one stick, the right stick, just like a full scale plane. Elevator controls pitch and ailerons control roll.

On a three channel trainer rudder controls roll.

Putting the rudder on the right stick with elevator is just to keep roll and pitch control on the same stick like it would be on a 4 channel. Nothing more, nothing less.

I learned on three and transitioned to four without any problems. Many three channel ready to fly planes from major manufacturers come set up this way.