If you don't participate in a club, or at an AMA flying field, we;d like to know why - Page 7 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Go Back  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Reload this Page >

If you don't participate in a club, or at an AMA flying field, we;d like to know why

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

If you don't participate in a club, or at an AMA flying field, we;d like to know why

Old 04-19-2015, 09:20 AM
Swiss Flyer
In the clouds

The Swiss equivalent of the AMA is the Schweizerischer Modellflugverband (SMV) and through that there are regional representatives and then the model flying clubs themselves. I went to my local field and could see that it was entirely gas planes, varying from super fast gets to giant aerobatic Extras etc.. In addition the average age of members was mid 50s and as soon as I turned up with my foam Apprentice and ArtiZan I wasn't exactly made to feel welcome. Its a shame because at heart we are all flyers, waking up and checking wind speeds or counting the hours until clock-off time so we can race home and go flying.

Anyway I found an excellent farmer's field with a public walking path through it. The farmer has seen me fly several times and given me a nod so I take it he has no objections to quiet electric flight over his land. So anyway the reason I've given up on the SMV and flying clubs is because electric is somehow regarded by the old timers to be inferior, almost sissy.. and its these guys that seem to rule our hobby.

Shame
Old 04-19-2015, 12:37 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

apple...you are right!!!! way to go bud,seems to me you fit right in here at watt flyer my friend.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:01 PM
onepoint

I'm another guy returning to the sport after years of neglect. I'm going to acquire a Slow Stick and just fly in my neighborhood. It is very quiet with only a couple kids around. Also there are bare foundations put in but never built on- excellent runways!
I went to my local club yesterday. Nice guys. Flying at the time were a giant size Stick and an 80" P51- both slimers. And a Radian. No comment on electrics- more about how if he crashed into their plane they'd be getting a new one hehe. A very nice field! They even have a commercial roller machine to keep the surface in excellent shape. But- AMA is required. That and dues would be over $100. I'm on a fixed income- $120 could get me a new Tx. Or a couple kits. And the field is 15 miles away. If I ever have an extra $120 layin' around though...
Old 04-23-2015, 10:05 PM
Wisc-BK
Watch this........:-(

I live on 60 acres of land and my flying field is on that land not more than 150 feet from my back door. I have an one million dollar umbrella policy on all my insurances since I have deer hunters on my land in the fall. That should cover my plane going off my land. Nearest club field is 1/2 hour away, too far to go out to and find out it is too windy for my electrics.

PS: The club is a nice club and I go to their events with my flying friend who is a member their even tho he flies at my place more than not.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BalloonRide041.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	180307  

Last edited by Wisc-BK; 04-24-2015 at 02:10 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:14 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

You sir have my dream house! Love to be able to walk out to my own private flying field.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:02 AM
Porcia83

so....much.....grass. That's tractor level grass right there. It's all about trade-offs!
Old 04-24-2015, 02:03 AM
Wisc-BK

Originally Posted by gramps2361 View Post
You sir have my dream house! Love to be able to walk out to my own private flying field.
Took me 32 years to get back to where the wife and I grew up and then build our retirement home on part of her fathers farm, and a friend to re-introduce me to flying and fly electrics !!
Old 04-24-2015, 02:05 AM
theapplepi3.14
Totally Non-Newtonian

Originally Posted by Porcia83 View Post
so....much.....grass. That's tractor level grass right there. It's all about trade-offs!
The best lawnmower is concrete: apply once every 50 years.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:06 AM
Wisc-BK

Originally Posted by Porcia83 View Post
Right, the rest of the "field" is for raising natural grasses to bale and feed the Bison on my sister in laws Bison farm across the road from us, of course the closely mowed part is my "runway", kind of bumpy here and there since the large tractors run over it each year when they mow and bail the hay.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:15 AM
abborgogna

I have belonged to many clubs over the years and currently belong to two R/C clubs and thee C/L clubs. I learned long ago that clubs offer the best chance to fly the kinds of planes I like. As for AMA, I have lots of pros and cons to offer. The best thing I can say about AMA they are the only representative we have to talk with the government. I have learned over the past 40+ years that without a voice in government to represent us we are toast. Since 9/11 things have gotten only worst and now with drones, well one landed recently on the white house lawn. Homeland and Secret Service are very concerned about drones, and as a life long modeler they should be. Then we get this nut job who fly's a gyro-copter onto the lawn of the capital building, guys we need all the representation we can get. For that reason, and that reason alone, I belong and have belonged for well over 40 years. As for insurance, most homeowner insurance will offer you a rider at some additional cost to cover toy airplanes. Given the cost of insurance the cost of Model Aviation the representation we get in government I think AMA is a good deal.

Clubs offer a chance to meet and fly with people of like mind, to me well worth the money. But that's my opinion for what it's worth. Yes, I know you are not suppose to start a sentence with a preposition, Mrs. Whitteny must be screaming from the grave.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:11 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by Robramrod View Post
Hello everyone I am new to this forum. I saw this post and I felt the need to put my 2 cents in. I was first introduced to the hobby in 1981- my father loved to build balsa kits. We lived in southwest ct- my father heard of a club behind Eisenhower park in Milford ct. He got us both AMA memberships we joined the club and those were some of the best times I had growing up. Everything was glow powered then- electrics were there but not like in today's technology. It was a great club and we were very welcome there. Fast forward to today- I fly electrics by choice- I've rekindled my love for RC flying a few years ago and I'm so glad to be back into the hobby. I can fly fixed wing- collective pitch heli's and yes the dreaded drones! Just got a phantom 2 vision plus this week and I love it. Although I am not currently in any club- I'm very responsible when and where I fly.

I was interested in joining a club here in CT. I won't name the club. I liked the website- emailed back and forth with the president- got my AMA membership.today I visited the club field- like they welcome people to do- says so on there website. I was quite disappointed when I got there. They seemed cold and uninterested. I tried talking to a few members and one guy told me that if I joined I would have to be "certified" by there flight instructor on a 40 size glow powered trainer. And they only give lessons on Wednesday nights. I explained to them that I know how to fly and I prefer electrics. I felt very unwelcome. And disappointed. I would love to be a member of a good club that welcomes new members. Some of these guys turned there nose up at me when I told them I fly a drone! Little did these miserable little men realize- I love flying so much I've earned a private pilot license. I can't rent and fly piper Cherokees out of tweed airport anytime and have done so. I've got no time in my life for that kind stuck up-ness. I've flown in unofficial groups- seaside park in Bridgeport ct. Some of the nicest guys I've flown with. I'm a white man- and I was shunned by a stuck up club. Some of the best fun I've had was flying my birds at seaside park with my black friends. I can't Imagine one of them joining a real ama sanctioned club. In my opinion? Most clubs are nothing but stuck up bigots
Sorry to hear of your negative experience.

So, after your visit to the field, did you call the President and share your disappointment? What did he say?

You would not be the first guy who walked onto a field and met the "grouchy group".

BTW, most clubs will want you to take a certification test. The fact that you think you know how to fly does not mean they agree and they want to make sure you are safe.

As for why you would have to fly a 40 glow trainer I don't know but so what. As long as someone starts it for you, you should be able to fly it. After all, you know how to fly. But if they are insisting on you flying glow, well maybe that is not the right club for you.

Be aware that not all clubs welcome all kinds of flying. Our club, for example, is a sailplane/glider club. Sailplanes, gliders, e-gliders and a VERY limited range of slow fly electric trainers. you want to fly helis, quads, drones, warbirds, high speed, 3D, ..... we would be happy to give you the address and phone number of another club. We are a sailplane/glider club.

As for the DRONE word, realize that, to may RC pilots, DRONE is a dirty word.

It is "those drone guys" who are flying around the Statue of Liberty and buzzing crowds and making things hard for those of us who fly RC for fun at AMA fields under AMA rules. It is the Drone guys that have the FAA breathing down our necks. Everything was great until those DRONE guys showed up and ruined it for everyone.

So be aware that many RC people will shun you if you use the Drone word. If someone asked me if I flew drones I would say absolutely not and do everything I could to distance myself from that concept. I fly radio controlled model aircraft.

Many of us don't want to be associated with those types of devices that are flown in unsafe manners, invade peoples privacy and violate air safety rules. Drones are military and kill people and do bad things. Didn't you see Terminator? Skynet and the evil drones!

I fly model airplanes.

You may not have known that but you know it now.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:20 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Long time AMA member... and I've seen clubs where I wonder how they keep any members at all other then the 3 old goats that belittle everyone else and think they are God's gift to aviation.

When I had just moved to the area I'm in now I was club hunting and visiting fields. Showed up at onje with a beat up looking Kadet Sr. NO ONE wanted to even look at me. No greeting other than asking rudely if I had an AMA card.
Took the plane out and flew it around a while... and left.

I went back a couple of weeks later with a new GP Fokker Dr1 60 inch span... EVERYONE wanted to be my friend.

I joined a different club.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:50 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by gramps2361 View Post
I miss the field across the street from the old homestead. Big enough to fly my FliteTest F22 in!

To get back on topic: I don't know if I've been lucky, but I've been a member of a few AMA clubs in different locations.

When I first started flying, I joined a club and was introduced to an instructor. The 'committee' that inspected my newly-built plane (Great Planes PT-40) found an issue with a linkage setup that would have cost me the plane had it not been found. A week later, after the fix, my instruction started.

After a move, I joined a different club. I was asked to fly with an instructor beside me, just to demonstrate that I knew how to fly safely and could control my plane. I didn't feel insulted. After one simple flight (take off, fly a few times around the field, land) I was given permission to solo. No big deal. I've never run into anyone who made an issue about the way one flew, unless it was warranted (i.e.: a safety issue) and even then, it was more like constructive criticism than scolding.

As far as the whole glow vs. electric, foam vs. balsa, ARF vs. built thing, well, that's a matter of personal preference. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and enjoys different aspects of the hobby. The vast majority of my planes are either built from kit or scratch (or a mix of both). I've actually had a guy come up to me at a field with a foam bird, and almost apologize to me about flying a foamie! He was a much better pilot than I, so I apologized right back about not flying some of the maneuvers he could. He ended up giving me some flying pointers, and I helped him build his first balsa kit.

AMA membership provides me with insurance. I wouldn't fly without it. Club membership provides me with a chance to meet and interact with like-minded people, although we may not agree on everything. Not everyone has acres of open land to fly in. To many of us, supporting a club is the only way to assure we'll have a place to fly in the future.

Just my $.02
Old 05-07-2015, 03:12 PM
abborgogna

I have been fly R/C planes for about 40 years, all kinds, all speeds, and all sizes. When I joined the club I now belong to I too had to do a demo flight to prove I could fly. The person who checked me out was an old friend who knew me and knew my skill set. I had no problem with the club rule that required a demo flight. If they let me go, then how could they enforce the rule that others needed testing. I agree that it is a sound practice to test everybody when they join a club. In general I think clubs are good for the hobby.

I do give this warning, I have belonged to two clubs that were ripped off by their treasurers and know of a third. One embezzled club money to support is personal business to the tune of $10,000. The other used club money to start a new club, because he didn't like some of the members of our club. We never did know exactly how much he embezzled. Never let you treasurer stay in office more than two years and demand (yes demand) a monthly treasurers report at the club meeting and in the news letter. If they stall or hesitate start a quick investigation at the bank where the club does business. Oh, and if you think because your club requires two officers signatures on checks to be cashed you are safe, forget it the banks never look. They just don't care, it's not their problem. Don't say you weren't warned.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:37 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by Bald Paul View Post
snip...

AMA membership provides me with insurance. I wouldn't fly without it. Club membership provides me with a chance to meet and interact with like-minded people, although we may not agree on everything. Not everyone has acres of open land to fly in. To many of us, supporting a club is the only way to assure we'll have a place to fly in the future.

Just my $.02
You nailed it.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:37 PM
Red Scholefield
Batteries/Chargers

Default And then there were none.

Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
As the President of one of the largest flying clubs in Washington State with over 400 members and our own field we have seen what the AMA has done to other clubs and want nothing to do with them. There outdated rules and regs mean little to electric flyers in this day and age. Flying Stations, Really? Who needs them if you have a proper flight line setup and safety conscious members who speak up if someone gets out of line. Half the year our members fly in a large public park that allows electric planes. Our only rules for this site is obey the flight line and keep your plane inside the park. The rest of the year we fly at a smaller private park with the same simple rules and never had a problem. Why on earth would we need or want the AMA to screw this all up for us?
Interesting: No commitment to model aviation (AMA), ends up with no club.

North West Electric Flyers -
Closed to all new Signups
Because no one took over the club all signup are closed but the site and shout box will still work fine. There is no contact info for the club and for now I will still handle minor details here.

Kosh