China Hobby Line LiPo's vs others ? - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

China Hobby Line LiPo's vs others ?

Old 12-02-2013, 12:12 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I hope you guys keep the VAT tax over there. The Lib Gov here wants it. A bad idea any way you slice it.

Nigel,

At least they ship to Latvia, right? For me, it's no longer just about price. I like the quality and fast service I get from CHL. I like what I've seen so far. I do wish they'd include a connector for lipos 4000mah or above. I need (2) 5000mah 4S 30 or 40C for my Deuces Wild and hate soldering connectors. Must be a liability thing.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:49 AM
bluzjamer

I missed a good deal on some 3s 2200 mah 30c lipos from Hobby People on BF.
Were $9.95 each. There was a $9 hazmat fee I didn't like but there was free shipping over $50 order. When I came to my senses and went back it wasn't BF anymore and the price went back up to $18.95 each. Snooze you lose I guess. Dahawk I hate soldering also, not that I can't. I'm an APP guy, have my special crimper for them. I would rather all lipos came with no connectors. Wish they would standardize the balance connectors also.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:05 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I know what you mean. A lot of it due to past lawsuits, mainly between Deans and HK over the "T-connector" Eflight, well, they're Eflight. No chance getting them to abandon the EC3 or EC5 which really are good high voltage connectors IMO. Just a pain to separate. I do like the XT-60 but that means it's coming from HK. Solution? Go to EPBuddy or Heads,Up, HK Motion, etc and buy the two way adaptors. They are cheap. HK sells them in 3 packs. I have several and I can adapt to anything they throw at me including banana plugs. Lately, on new planes, with the exception of planes coming from HK, I try to standardize at least on the male esc side with Deans.

My parallel balance charge board has connections for XT-60, EC3 and Deans. I like it easy not hard.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:29 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

As I understand it - battery from some outlets come bare wires taped up because they don't know what connector you will use. I would assume that factory prefers to not get into connector war.

So far with further investigation even with CHL discounts etc. if I can get via EU warehouse - HK is slightly cheaper.

I was going to say that I would trial CHL packs - but as we cannot do a proper lab comparison - it's difficult to be accurate in which is better. I have reasonable good use out of HK packs ... so maybe it's a case of "don't fix what ain't broke" ...

I need to consider carefully ...

Nigel
Old 12-12-2013, 04:39 AM
DavidR8

Did you make a decision and place an order?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2013, 05:05 AM
bluzjamer

I ordered a bunch from china Hobby and am very satisfied. Fast ship, well packed, they look great and there is always a free prize in the package. What's not to like.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:15 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

I got 2 batts for my Mustang. Will try them out soon, maybe tomorrow, but only time will tell. But yes, quick shipping and they threw in some AA's which I guess they do in every order.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:26 PM
bacibear

I have been using them for about nine months. So far, both the batteries and customer service has been great. I have measured power draw with CHL batteries against others I use, including Gens Ace and Hobby King nano tech, and the CHL batteries deliver more power. In flight, they seem to fade less. My battery of choice now.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:39 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

bear,

Welcome to WF and thanks for doing the tech comparison. You've confirmed my suspicions in a technical way. I too have standardized on CHL over the last year. Jason is great communicator and their prices and support are second to none.

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 01-31-2014, 08:51 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

I still love mine.

Question. I've only used their 850mAh batteries (2-cell and 3-cell). These batteries are of significantly different dimensions from every other 800-ish battery I've ever had - longer and shorter - which means I've had to modify some planes and can't use them at all in some planes.

Are their other batteries also of odd dimensions? Or more-or-less standard?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	800mah1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	173199   Click image for larger version

Name:	800mah2.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	173200  
Old 02-01-2014, 11:05 PM
bacibear

Default CHL battery size

I fly 2200mAh through 3300mAh 4 cell batteries. They are close in dimensions to the other brands members of my club use.

You may want to contact Jason regarding your 850mAh packs - they will do custom packs.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:14 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Thanks for the info.

Not sure if it's worth it for custom packs - I was basically curious if all their batteries were as different in dimension. (I guess I could always go and measure all my packs, etc. )
Old 02-01-2014, 11:52 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Some of there packs are different when I do a order for anything bigger than the 3c 2200 size I check out the specs first. I did order a 4c 3000 mah battery and I could not use it in the plane I ordered it for. My fault I should of check the measurement's of the battery first.

So some of the batteries are odd sized never did try and ask for a custom battery back. I wonder if that is just for the amp and how many mah's and not for dimension's of the pack.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:49 AM
Depronicus

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
...I too have standardized on CHL over the last year. Jason is great communicator and their prices and support are second to none...
Yeah, me too. The batteries are very good and Jason is terrific.

I'm sold. They're my battery source.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:04 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

ARGHHH!!!!!

I really like CHL's batteries, despite their weird sizes. In fact, I've now built four or five planes specifically around their 850mAh 2-cell batteries, with weirdly sized battery compartments to accommodate CHL's odd dimensions.

Today, I got in another order of the batteries and THEY'VE CHANGED THE SIZE! The new batteries now have standard dimensions and DON'T FIT ANY OF MY NEW PLANES!!!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:21 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I'm pretty sure all of these battery brands just buy in the LiPo cells from the real manufacturer. All they do is assemble them. I guess they change suppliers of cells based on price. I've noticed with other brands such as Gens Ace that the same spec of battery purchased at different times can vary in size and in performance quite significantly.

Does anyone know if any brand names actually does make it's own cells... Kokam maybe?
Old 08-01-2014, 12:01 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I'm pretty sure all of these battery brands just buy in the LiPo cells from the real manufacturer.
Yep....

All they do is assemble them. I guess they change suppliers of cells based on price.
Yes, and in some cases they even have others assemble them for them, just sticking their "shrink case and name brand" on the cells.

I've noticed with other brands such as Gens Ace that the same spec of battery purchased at different times can vary in size and in performance quite significantly.
Ditto. That is why I only order a couple of packs test and then buy more if they are good. Many consistently change the cells. The issue is our little hobby is such a smallish purchaser of cells that we get less attention from the few manufactures in the game.

Does anyone know if any brand names actually does make it's own cells... Kokam maybe?
I don't think they did make their own, nor TP but rather again, work with the manufactures to "stamp" their name on the cell casings.

When I was chatting with one of the vendors I work with for reviews he admitted there were very few manufactures at the time like 5 or 6. I suspect there are more today but not many.

The big name guys want us to think they are getting something special but frankly I have 10x more issues with my TP packs - so much so I no longer get them. Hyperion is better but again the price is pretty staggering.

It is a real crap shoot. Some perform well others like crap. This is exactly what you are seeing - since they change the actual cells in the pack more than they would like us to know.

My motto now is "buy cheap" (for LiPo's that is.... )

ML
Old 08-01-2014, 12:18 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

ML[/QUOTE]

Mike I have bought no name batteries off of EBAY for dirt cheap and they have lasted a long time with different names on them. One battery labeled Mystery batteries. I still have a few that are over over 3 years old and they still balance and take a good charge IR has gone up on them so they don't pack the same punch, but good for a low amp draw plane.

For the price I am still happy withe CHL batteries I will be placing a order for some more in a week or two.

Mark thanks for the heads up that they have changed the pack sizes have to look at the measurements when I place my order.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:25 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I agree in general. It's like oil. It all comes out of the same hole. But the QA may vary from vendor to vendor. Some may have truer C-ratings while others just slap a label on them.

I'm happy with CHL not so much because I think they are cats meow of lipos but because they have good consistent quality, excellent service, great prices and a US warehouse. Did I say they have great prices?

-Hawk
Old 08-01-2014, 02:52 AM
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Originally Posted by gramps2361 View Post

ML
Mike I have bought no name batteries off of EBAY for dirt cheap and they have lasted a long time with different names on them. One battery labeled Mystery batteries. I still have a few that are over over 3 years old and they still balance and take a good charge IR has gone up on them so they don't pack the same punch, but good for a low amp draw plane.

For the price I am still happy withe CHL batteries I will be placing a order for some more in a week or two.

Mark thanks for the heads up that they have changed the pack sizes have to look at the measurements when I place my order.[/QUOTE]

That reminds me of a 5000mah 3s I bought from eBay. It was for my Glamis Uno buggy, that has a compartment so I wasn't free to any sized pack. The battery has a glittery pink/purple wrap, making it look like complete junk. It is, however, a very nice battery, beats the 45C nanotech that is now toast.

As for CHL (always thinking of Canadian Hockey League when I see that), I only have one 3s 1300mah from them, but it sure boosts the peformance of my mini switch.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:58 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

It's just ... MAN! I literally finished three planes in the last two months built around that battery.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:21 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
It's just ... MAN! I literally finished three planes in the last two months built around that battery.
You might try Zippy Compacts.. they are similar 'long and thin' shape like the old CHL in the picture.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:44 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Thanks - I'll give 'em a look.