E-Flite Ultra Stick Wing Failure - Page 4 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

E-Flite Ultra Stick Wing Failure

Old 11-28-2013, 11:19 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Fairfield Manor, Hants, UK ... we were invited to put on an RC show ...

Beautiful manor grounds but with a line of tall Poplar trees at end ... Upwind of runway.

There's me with a Mirage 2000 with ST61 up front (prop) job ... Everyones remarking about the trees and various flights we all have - we have to come in high and then drop sharply to get on runway ... I fly my other gear ... all's fine.

Mirage takes off .. nice ... few passes ... few high alphas ... show off the delta .... then its land ... I hear the voices behind me ... I shrug em off ... Nah - I'll be alright ...

She hit about 10ft from the top and then proceeded to do a slow rattling fall through the trees branches ... you can see the bits breaking of as it hit each branch ...

The 'Walk of shame' with the big plastic bag ....

Nigel
Old 11-28-2013, 01:03 PM
KeninAZ

Yes I have crashed a bit over the years.
Since switching to electric it's been interesting to watch the LiPoly batteries go up in smoke.
But in this case it did make a mice marker for where it landed a long ways away.
I wonder if we could get that smoke in our favorite color???
Old 11-29-2013, 09:53 AM
barry777

Originally Posted by KeninAZ View Post
I went flying this morning and was having fun when all of the sudden my plane had a catastrophic failure and the wing came off! The fuse turned into a lawn dart and the wing fluttered to the ground some distance from the fuse crash. I was doing a gentle loop at the time.
The plane and wing went down some distance away and I found it with the plume of smoke that happened when the battery had the impact. If you look at the last pix that’s the forward part of the wing where two hardwood pins sat and the soft balsa material that was supposed to hold them and the wing in place failed, plain and simple!

I fly the MUS's all the time and have been for years. i overpower it , and fly it pretty hard. i've never had, or seen a failure like this. Have you had any accidents prior to this incident that could have weakened the joint?
Old 11-29-2013, 12:24 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I've kept quiet so far ...

But the average model I see now with balsa / lite ply has very little real structure where dowels or bolts go.

I tend to ADD a block or doubler to kits as I am surprised at so little to hold ...

A good modification is actually standard packing foam shaped and fitted into that area behind the LE. To fill area but with little or no weight change.
Wing bolts are improved by a plate spreading the load .. clear plastic plate is good - then it's not so obvious.

Nigel
Old 11-29-2013, 12:57 PM
KeninAZ

Originally Posted by barry777 View Post
I fly the MUS's all the time and have been for years. i overpower it , and fly it pretty hard. i've never had, or seen a failure like this. Have you had any accidents prior to this incident that could have weakened the joint?

Yes one tip over on landing that broke the prop is all. Almost stopped anyway when it hit something on the ground.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:09 PM
KeninAZ

rcers and all the encouraged me to sent he damaged parts in I want to sincerely thank you.
The day of my surgery the P-47D came in that I ordered on the Black Friday Sale came in and the day after that. The "parts" for my plane turns out to be a brand new plane much to my surprise!.
Inspection showed that the 25e was a brand new complete plane in the Box! I was expecting a fuse and wing at best but they did sent a brand new kit!

I was in shock that they would have replaced the 25e but they did just that.
Now that I am home from the surgery I am more than shakey from that but I wanted to let others know how much I appreciate what Horizon has done for me.
I am taking so many pills right now during recovery that there is no way I can construct either one of these or fly them but I will remember the kindness they have shown to me in the future..
Regarding my surgery this recovery will take some time or it seems me but that could be the pills talking.
I am looking forward to flying again and the ability to build and fly too.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:27 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Told ya.... :o)

They are really outstanding on service. You pay a bit more for product but they stand behind what they sell....

One reason so many of us pay a few bucks extra - for excellent support.

Try what you just did with 98% of the other vendors and the result is different.

Glad the surgery went well!

Mike
Old 12-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I'm glad that your surgery went well. Time seems to pass quickly, soon you will be out flying again.

I figured HH would replace the plane, I don't see how it would stand the stress doing a loop, with the dowels only passing through the leading edge.

Check this one, it is probably built the same way.

Good luck on your recovery and flying.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Best wishes Ken. Recovery to a point of puttering about with your models won't take too long. Just take a chair to the field with you when you fly so you can sit down. Horizons therapy has been good for you anyway....
Old 12-07-2013, 12:24 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Ken hope you have a speedy recovery, and enjoy getting the new planes flight ready when you are feeling better.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:07 AM
bluzjamer

Good luck with your recovery Ken. I have been there twice, once in 1974 for two lower discs and 25 years later for a redo of the same area. I was young the first time and I was in the hospital a total of 30 days. Took me almost a week to get out of bed.
2nd time I was sent home on the 2nd day after the surgery and I went out that night and played at a Jam. My daughter carried my guitar for me. Wow was my wife PO'd.
Now 14 years later I have trouble walking very far, have poor feeling in both feet. Right foot is bad due to botched radical bunion surgery, had that done twice also and never healed right. Also am type 2 insulin dependent diabetic. I'm on nitrates also. Never had a fusion as most of the guys I knew with fusions were worse off than myself. I'll have to be near death before I have another surgery. Flying is good therapy however, I keep my flights fairly short as I can't stand for long periods either.
I have great motivation for landing close by though. Heal well my friend.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:25 AM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

wish ya the best ken. hopefully you can get back on your feet and flying soon.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:24 PM
KeninAZ

Just a bit of an update.
My recovery went much better than expected according to the doc for a 67 year old having had a fusion and decompression (laminectomy) surgery. I was in mild pain for most of 35 years after the accident in the Army but the last 7 were pretty bad I am so glad that I had this done as now I am pain free. The doc says it could take up to 6 months before I am totally recovered from the fusion portion of the surgery however.

I have a new replacement Ultra Stick 25E courtesy of some here on the forum and HH and a new Parkzone P-47D complete with retracts and all the work on.
I just want to want about another week or two so that bending and twisting the back is not such an issue leaning over the tables to work on them.

I am missing some great flying WX as the winds have been calm and the days around 60°. But I can fix that~~all I have to do is get a plane ready to fly and winter will set in full time! We all know how that goes don't we!
Old 12-29-2013, 03:30 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Ken glad the surgery turned out great. Ya I couldn't believe the difference after the surgery and to be pain free. I don't know how I put up with it for so many years.

I hear you on great flying weather when you can't fly. I bought a Ember to fly in the yard while I was recovering flew the heck out of it even at night.

When you feel better get those planes ready for flight maybe the weather gods will be kind to you.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:57 PM
KeninAZ

TNX, I can only hope the WX holds.
Our WX here has been pretty mild so far and almost no snow even though we are at just over 5000' here in AZ.
But our worst months are normally Jan/Feb.
Oh well, time to recuperate and get the planes ready to fly.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:38 PM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

ken, great news. don't push yourself. you'll be flying in no time.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:42 PM
KeninAZ

Not pushing it at all and taking no chances.
But they had me up and in a walker 4 hours after I woke up to see how far I could go on their "racetrack" as they called it, around a 300" look they said.
I walked the whole thing which they said was unusual.
No pain either, for a change.
I walk about 1/3 of a mile 2x a day right now and things are feeling much much better.
But I still watch the weights I lift and twisting/bending slowly.
I would prefer not to have to repeat this surgery.