What aileron trainer is the best? - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

What aileron trainer is the best?

Old 11-27-2013, 10:47 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by bluzjamer View Post
Try a Bixler or Hawk Sky or one of the clones. Easy flying yet can do some simple aerobatics, plus they will glide forever if not made to heavy. They take a lickin and keep on tickin. Nice video platform also.
I get impression he wants something a little more get-up and go than a Bixler ?

Nigel
Old 11-27-2013, 10:47 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Aw JPF .. OP did say "as I've mastered elevator rudder planes" ...

Nigel
I took it as a figure of speech, not bragging. IMHO within the context it just means that he thinks he's developed enough skill to be competent and 'safe'. That's all I read into the OP's post and I don't see any justification to attack him for saying it.

As another example I might tell you "I've mastered riding a two wheel bicycles" That doest mean I'm claiming to be the ultimate cyclist.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:05 PM
bluzjamer

Put in a high C nano tech and you will be surprised what the Bix can do. get rid of the stock prop also.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:54 AM
nz builder

Sorry for any confusion. I wasnt trying to state that I was an aerobatic whizz with a 3 channel plane. Its just that I wanted to graduate to a 4 channel setup. When I mentioned mastery I was meaning that I had control of the plane at all times. I didnt mean to make anyone cringe.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:31 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by nz builder View Post
Sorry for any confusion. I wasnt trying to state that I was an aerobatic whizz with a 3 channel plane. Its just that I wanted to graduate to a 4 channel setup. When I mentioned mastery I was meaning that I had control of the plane at all times. I didnt mean to make anyone cringe.
We all know what you meant !!

Just us being nit-picky !

Nigel
Old 11-28-2013, 07:34 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by bluzjamer View Post
Put in a high C nano tech and you will be surprised what the Bix can do. get rid of the stock prop also.
Whats a Nano gonna do ? So far I've found nano's to be junk and nowhere near the claimed output or C.
They have delivered for first few cycles and then slumped to crap ! My Zippy Compacts are better !!

Nigel
Old 11-28-2013, 07:52 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Whats a Nano gonna do ? So far I've found nano's to be junk and nowhere near the claimed output or C.
What I find strange is the 'Bixler and Nanotech' recommendation comes from someone who in another thread just recommended that you should buy from other dealers rather than from Hobbyking (for those who donít know, both the Bixler and Nanotec are brands exclusive to Hobbyking)

I just picked up a couple of 65c Nanos when they were on special offer. Early days yet but they are VERY good so far. They have the lowest internal resistance of any battery I've measured. I still think 65-130c rating is a gross exaggeration, but HK are far from the only ones playing that game.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:44 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I think I must have tried most of the major brands and frankly, unless you're a chemical engineer, it's hard to distinguish between one or another. They are all made from for the same materials basically- uh, Lithium? . Kind of like oil. It all comes out of the same hole.

Could be that assembly & QC is better with one brand over another. There was a lot of hoopla over Nano-tech's, but I haven't found them to be extraordinary by any stretch. My Zippy's and Turnigy's are equally as good.

There's a kind of a herd mentality when it comes to lipos. The Alpha dogs at our club were swearing up and down about how great the Gens Aces were. That was until the alpha dogs changed course. Just takes Nitroplanes to go out of stock and the herd moves on to the next brand.

My new best friend for lipos is: www.Chinahobbyline.com They have a US(Calif) based warehouse as well as a HK warehouse, have the best prices ( Better than HK) free shipping, come with attached deans connectors up to 4000mah. Heck, they even throw in a little gift pack of aa alkalines with every order. They will also make custom lipos. I've found their quality to be second to none. The 4S 3300 40C's are low profile and perform very well. Lipos are all they do and Jason is a great communicator.

In the end, it's like smokers. Pick your brand.

-Hawk
Old 11-29-2013, 10:51 AM
barry777

I prefer Super Cub to a T-28... It is a great little plane which is easy for a first-timer to handle. Hand-launches are easier than takeoff rolls. But the plane is so light, and the wing is a somewhat flexible, so wind needs a few mph or less, preferable calm to fly it. Otherwise, it really gets bounced around and is easily crashed or lost.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:45 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
What I find strange is the 'Bixler and Nanotech' recommendation comes from someone who in another thread just recommended that you should buy from other dealers rather than from Hobbyking (for those who donít know, both the Bixler and Nanotec are brands exclusive to Hobbyking)

I just picked up a couple of 65c Nanos when they were on special offer. Early days yet but they are VERY good so far. They have the lowest internal resistance of any battery I've measured. I still think 65-130c rating is a gross exaggeration, but HK are far from the only ones playing that game.
Nanotech is a name used by Hobby King .... but Nano Tech technology is not exclusive HK ... there are other battery dealers out there with Nano Tech Lipo's ,,, they just don't shout the word out like HK ... and they tend to be more reserved with C rating claims. You need to read the blurb to find them - but they are there.

My and guys around me .. our observation of our own Nanos has been good output for a number of cycles and then a rapid decline far sooner than any other LiPo's we use. None of us have achieved anywhere near 1/2 the life of regular LiPo's .. and we've retruned to using Zippy's, Flightmax, Rhinos etc. instead. I am testing nanos again in my Pushers ... just in case the ones before were bad batches.

Nigel
Old 11-29-2013, 12:00 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Yeah, I fully appreciate that it's just a brand name. I'm sure the technology is no different to other high c rate Lipos but nonetheless these new ones do have impressivly low internal resistance.
I've also had mixed longer term results from nanos in the past so i'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:07 PM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Originally Posted by barry777 View Post
I prefer Super Cub to a T-28... It is a great little plane which is easy for a first-timer to handle. Hand-launches are easier than takeoff rolls. But the plane is so light, and the wing is a somewhat flexible, so wind needs a few mph or less, preferable calm to fly it. Otherwise, it really gets bounced around and is easily crashed or lost.

As he stated in his very first post, he's looking for something beyond a "rudder and elevator" plane...

Jeff
Old 11-29-2013, 05:03 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Apprentice S
Sensei
Dynam Cub w/ Ailerons

Lots of very inexpensive 4 channel options out there that fly well.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:57 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by waytooslow View Post
then found a barely used Glassair, quickly got bored with that...
Second profoundly irritating phrase after "mastered" some plane. Boredom is personal quality having nothing to do with the thing you blame the boredom on. And none of us ever masters anything we do!

How about some advanced 3-channel aerobatics?
Old 11-29-2013, 09:10 PM
Dragonflyer

Just go buy one of these.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71aMiPXFPhs[/media]
Old 11-29-2013, 09:34 PM
bluzjamer

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post

Yes I try not to buy from HK but nanos are only carried by them and I find them to be better than most. Noticeably more powerful than others I have tried in the Bixler. Hey don't like the Bixler try any of the other similar powered gliders. Check out the guy that has all the foam jets on you tube. He started out with Hawk Skys (Bixler type) and tried to kill them every time he flew them. They fixed easily and kept flying, just what the OP needs. There are a bunch of guys using nanos at my fields and all like them. Always on the look out for something better but I don't think Zippys are the ones.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:07 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

"bluzjamer" .... if you check out other batteey sources such as China Hobby etc. - you will find that many other do actually sell Nano Tech format LiPo's ... HK has named there's NANOTECH ... but they are not only suppliers of the nano variety.

The interesting thing is other sellers are mostly not so optimistic in C ratings as HK !

As to alternatives ... myself and guys I fly with use standard LiPo's now - Nano's have proven to be crap.... ours anyway.

Nigel
Old 11-29-2013, 11:16 PM
bluzjamer

Nigel hi,
I just found out today about the China Hobby lipos today and I ordered 5. they look good , I was unaware there were other nanos out there. I have been weeding out my older Blue lipos, Rhinos, and Airfields. I got many flights from them and they lasted 3 years of not so pleasant landings. So I may not have been comparing apples to apples. I'd much rather deal with buying in the US and I know it can't be prevented some times. Even if items are shipped in the US they may have to be returned to China which is a whole other ballgame. Happy Holidays.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:47 AM
nz builder

This is what Im bidding on. Its second hand and looks in good condition. Lanyu Trainstars usually sell here for $350. The fuse is made from blown plastic and is very strong.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:32 AM
rampage

Buy a Delta Ray and get proficient at it on high rates with SAFE turned off and you can fly just about anything.