Old but brand new Fat Shark Predators - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

UAV / FPV Forum to talk about UAV / FPV electric R/C flight.

Old but brand new Fat Shark Predators

Old 12-16-2017, 06:49 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Default Old but brand new Fat Shark Predators

Just got given a set of Fat Shark Predators (V1) that have never been used. Still in the boxes. Has the head tracker and VTX (600 mw) and LOTS of extras including camera OSD etc etc. Wiring looms are still in sealed bags.
Are they worth playing around with?
Checked the battery, it is perfect. Might have to get a set of di-opters for me to see properly.
I can only think that they should be worth trying out at least.
If I don't get airsick I might get some better ones later on.

Well, I checked them out and they are awful things. Screen the size of a postage stamp. My Quanam Cyclops are sooo much better and the screen is 10 times larger too.

Last edited by Panther; 12-16-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:16 AM
formontoya

I started with box goggles and then switched to a Fatshark style goggle. It did take some getting use to, but I now prefer them over the box goggles myself. If nothing else they could be used as "ride along" goggles so your buddies can watch you fly.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:00 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

I wonder what sort of Fat Sharks you got because these things are really awful. Tiny screen and not a clear pic at all. I don't know how they ever sold them. I have tried the High Def Fat Sharks and they were amazing but the Skyzone seems to have them beaten now with 3D HD. They have some on special at present but being Christmas Time I haven't got that much spare cash at present even though they are half price.
I will happily use my Cyclops until another bargain comes along. I might be too old then though. Maybe I can use the head tracker from the Fat Sharks with my Quanams. Might be worth looking into.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:41 PM
formontoya

Maybe the goggles require the dipole lenses. I have a set of box goggles that have diversity/DVR that I had to modify with a set of readers because the picture quality was horrible. My buddy has a different set of box goggles that I have no problem seeing through w/o my glasses or any modifications. My Flysight goggles require no lenses while my biddies Fatshark goggles would (if I was to use them). Really depends on what optics are used...as with everything YMMV. But they might still make a decent set of "ride along" goggles for others.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:51 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

I tried different cameras. (Eachine and Runcam) I have some more cams here but just not worth pursuing. The optics are OK for me surprisingly enough. The picture is like an old TV. Very wishy washy. I adjusted the brightness but it doesn't make the pic any clearer but as I said the Cyclops is very clear compared to these and it is not perfect but I can at least fly with them and the screen is much larger.
When I say the Fat Shark screen is about the size of a postage stamp, does that sound right to you? I thought they were supposed to be much larger viewers than that. The cyclops is like a large TV.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:00 PM
formontoya

Yea, the screen on the Fatshark type goggles are pretty small...postage stamp is pretty close. But when they're on your face it works out fine. Sure, you don't get that big screen TV look, but...really a matter of taste. I like them from a weight factor, they are lighter and feel that way. As well, I have a fan in mine and that helps on the muggy summer mornings in Houston, Texas.

Box goggles are great and if you're out there laughing and giggling then no matter which you choose, you've chosen the right ones...

As stated, keep the Fatshark for ride along. Even if they're not the best, your buddies will have a blast and maybe even purchase a rig you guys can beat around together with. Flying/bashing around with others is extremely fun!
Old 12-19-2017, 08:34 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

There are no other FPVrs around where I live and it is a shame. We have so much open country and can fly virtually without restrictions. I live in hope though... :-)