Airplane storage? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Airplane storage?

Old 12-11-2017, 03:56 PM
Stay Quiet

Default Airplane storage?

With the completion of the Avenger (and something else already in mind for my next build) I find myself in the enviable / unenviable position of running out of room to store my planes.

Unfortunately, I don't have a room to use as a designated workshop. (I actually build all my planes in a double closet, believe it or not!) I have three planes in the "man cave" now, some of them just leaned against the walls of a corner, and that is far from ideal storage.

I want to build a rack system to hold them. That's no problem. However, I have only one option of where to mount the rack. It's in a storage area just off the "man cave". It's a large enough spot, isn't too crowded, and most of what is in there pretty much stays there. But, it's an uninsulated area. Temps fluctuate greatly from daytime to nighttime, especially during the summer months. (I'd love to just frame up a couple walls and add insulation and some sheet rock, which would help, but I'd have a hard time justifying the expense of that to the better half.) I'm concerned that the temp variations could affect the airframes and cause warping or issues with the covering materials.

How hot is too hot for storage? Are my concerns about temp variations legitimate? Can anyone come and convince my wife that sealing and insulating that area is more important than any number of home improvement projects she'd like me to do, but I keep telling her they aren't in the budget?
Old 12-11-2017, 03:59 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

I store my planes in my garage. In the summer it gets upwards of 120 in there. However, never have I had an issue in 12 years of flying. Direct sunlight is what you need to worry about, not just heat itself.

For example, several years ago I had some depron flat foamies sitting in the back of my car when I went to see a movie after the day's flying. In just 2 hours sitting in direct sunlight, most of my wings were warped. But those same planes had sat in my garage for a couple summers without issue.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:52 PM
Stay Quiet

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
I store my planes in my garage. In the summer it gets upwards of 120 in there. However, never have I had an issue in 12 years of flying. Direct sunlight is what you need to worry about, not just heat itself.

For example, several years ago I had some depron flat foamies sitting in the back of my car when I went to see a movie after the day's flying. In just 2 hours sitting in direct sunlight, most of my wings were warped. But those same planes had sat in my garage for a couple summers without issue.
Exactly the kind of information and feedback I was hoping for! Thanks!

Time to start designing and building that storage rack!
Old 12-11-2017, 05:07 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

The main worry is not temperature variation, but how the model sits. If you have it with a wing perched on something and other not - you can end up with a warped wing.
You should try to have each part evenly supported so no induced warps or stress.
Generally better to put wings into slots by leading edge and not trailing edge.
Fuselages to stand on nose or hang by prop.
Some I have strings down from ceiling ... with loop in the end ... it goes round prop hub to suspend ... or tail wheel.
Many of my models stay rigged - even such as my Tiger Moth ... that hangs in my van upside down ... tail wheel in loop and then u/c trussed to another string from van roof. A short line then to the side to stop it banging to and fro. It sits summer and now winter in extremes.

Nigel
Old 12-11-2017, 06:42 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Mine stay in a non temp controlled garage as well and I haven't had any issues. I have some plane racks on the floor for my smaller stuff and the bigger stuff hangs from the rafters. I loop strings around the wings that the fuselage to limit the stresses on them.

Not trying to brag but I am not really limited on space in my shop so a lot of them just get put anywhere out of the way sometimes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
shop.jpg (331.9 KB, 125 views)
Old 12-11-2017, 10:50 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Hanging on string from wall/ceiling in the guest room and office, looped around the landing gear. Wings are bagged and lean against the wall. Others crowd the bed. Takes about an hour to evict the planes when guests arrive. Lower quality planes are relegated to the basement.

Clearly Bill needs a few more planes to fill those gaps.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:58 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

I live in TX in the DFW area and have been to SC, NC and all east coast states. It does not get hot in SC compared to TX. All my planes are in the garage on racks constructed from PVC pipe and in 4 years no issues. IMHO the real danger is Sun Light. Only problem I have encountered is dust.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:30 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
Hanging on string from wall/ceiling in the guest room and office, looped around the landing gear. Wings are bagged and lean against the wall. Others crowd the bed. Takes about an hour to evict the planes when guests arrive. Lower quality planes are relegated to the basement.

If I can ever get all the stuff built I have on the shelf it may get filled up!
Old 12-12-2017, 03:04 PM
hkeelljr

Firemanbill, your work area is the Taj Mahal compaired to what I have. I fatally damaged a plane that I had worked on, only had one taxi run on it. Even it was hanging by the u/c and I simply backed into it, crunch. I would like to add another 380 sq ft but that is money I simply don"t have at this time. I literally built myself out of place to work.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:25 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by hkeelljr View Post
Firemanbill, your work area is the Taj Mahal compaired to what I have. I fatally damaged a plane that I had worked on, only had one taxi run on it. Even it was hanging by the u/c and I simply backed into it, crunch. I would like to add another 380 sq ft but that is money I simply don"t have at this time. I literally built myself out of place to work.
Bud I have dreamed my whole life of having a shop like this. When we moved home to TN from Virginia I had a shop on the top of my list. When we found this house with it already built I was ecstatic! Never dreamed I could find one this nice. it is 40ft by 40ft. 200 amp electrical service run to it with outlets on every fourth stud around the walls. Commercial grade roll up overhead doors and all brick exterior. My dad works for a contractor supply place and he had a couple guys look at it to see what it would cost to build as it sits and the cheapest anyone estimated was $75k. So yeah, I am happy. very very happy.

Here is a couple shots of my 12ft Sailplane nearing completion showing hte shop. And I can even work on my other toys as well, the VW Karmann Ghia
Attached Images
done 1.jpg (87.8 KB, 91 views)
done 2.jpg (80.3 KB, 87 views)
Old 12-12-2017, 05:18 PM
formontoya

The issue with a shop that nice is that if I pissed off the wife she would not have any reservations telling me where my new sleeping spot is...
Old 12-12-2017, 05:19 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by formontoya View Post
The issue with a shop that nice is that if I pissed off the wife she would not have any reservations telling me where my new sleeping spot is...
See that Futon against the wall? Pillows and blanket are in the cabinet... lol
Old 12-13-2017, 02:12 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post

He's going to have to remove that big blue thing that's wasting his floor space as well.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:47 AM
Stay Quiet

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
He's going to have to remove that big blue thing that's wasting his floor space as well.
Hey, the Ghia is a classic!
Old 12-13-2017, 02:17 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Stay Quiet View Post
Hey, the Ghia is a classic!
Indeed. that is a 71 with a Porsche 901 5 speed gear box and Porsche rear suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, heavy duty sway bars, lowered and narrowed front beam and shortened rear axles to accommodate 8" rims and 195 width tires. Just needs paint and a motor now.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:50 PM
Stay Quiet

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Indeed. that is a 71 with a Porsche 901 5 speed gear box and Porsche rear suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, heavy duty sway bars, lowered and narrowed front beam and shortened rear axles to accommodate 8" rims and 195 width tires. Just needs paint and a motor now.
Something like this?
Attached Images
Capture.JPG (40.4 KB, 62 views)