Go Back  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Reload this Page >

FFF vs Depron - design considerations when using plans?

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

FFF vs Depron - design considerations when using plans?

Old 10-16-2011, 04:34 AM
prof_fate

Default FFF vs Depron - design considerations when using plans?

I bought a bundle of FFF and want to give a 3D foamie a try - I love them in person and on the sim it's what i fly best...lots of plans on the net too.

Most seem to call for depron, usually 6mm. If I take a set of 'those' plans and build it in FFF are there any thing that would need changed? More power (or less..) or ?

Figure if I can fly a FFF 3D then I'll spend the bucks on a good 'real' one! If not, I've only lost some foam and glue.

Next question might be what is a good 'trainer' foamie build or does it matter?

Is a truly flat wing the way to go or would a symmetrical kfm be acceptable, better (or worse?). I figure it would be stronger, but heavier.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:02 AM
kvflyer

Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
I bought a bundle of FFF and want to give a 3D foamie a try - I love them in person and on the sim it's what i fly best...lots of plans on the net too.

Most seem to call for depron, usually 6mm. If I take a set of 'those' plans and build it in FFF are there any thing that would need changed? More power (or less..) or ?

Figure if I can fly a FFF 3D then I'll spend the bucks on a good 'real' one! If not, I've only lost some foam and glue.

Next question might be what is a good 'trainer' foamie build or does it matter?

Is a truly flat wing the way to go or would a symmetrical kfm be acceptable, better (or worse?). I figure it would be stronger, but heavier.

I think you mean EPP, depron and EPP are diffrent, the later being way more forgiving! and can be bought at "rcplanebuiler" very reasonable! I prefer to build with 9 mil. and feel 6 mil is too flimsy but both can be beefed up with carbon

Depron I find is brittle but is stiffer, any foam model still needs some carbon reinforcement. Most foam models are flat wing but some can be made with an airfoil, symetrical is always better but havent had a problem with flat "they are what they are.... good thing about EPP is you dont have to use "foam safe CA and will cut your glue cost in half!
Old 10-25-2011, 01:35 PM
SerjuRO

Default FFF

Sorry to ask, but what FFF is ?
Thank,
Old 10-25-2011, 02:14 PM
prof_fate

Originally Posted by SerjuRO View Post
Sorry to ask, but what FFF is ?
Thank,
fan fold foam, it's an insulation product you buy at lowes/home depot.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:20 PM
prof_fate

Originally Posted by kvflyer View Post
I think you mean EPP, depron and EPP are diffrent, the later being way more forgiving! and can be bought at "rcplanebuiler" very reasonable! I prefer to build with 9 mil. and feel 6 mil is too flimsy but both can be beefed up with carbon

Depron I find is brittle but is stiffer, any foam model still needs some carbon reinforcement. Most foam models are flat wing but some can be made with an airfoil, symetrical is always better but havent had a problem with flat "they are what they are.... good thing about EPP is you dont have to use "foam safe CA and will cut your glue cost in half!
Help me out here...I've seen 3D foamies made of a white, 'smooth' finish foam, seems stiff for it's thickness..similar to what you might find in the bottom of a pack of meat from the grocer, but more dense I guess you could say and usually kind of shiny. I usually see carbon rod reinforcement and no airfoils.

Depron, my understanding is, it's a 'rougher' surface foam, more like a soft packing material but heaver/more dense than insulation foam, much touger as it won't crumble, it's not brittle at all and it's not very shiny.

I've used gorilla and hot glues and got some foam safe ca (i generally don't like working with ca glues) but got the ca cause it's lighter than the others, which in a 3D foamie would be a good thing.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:18 AM
kvflyer

Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
Help me out here...I've seen 3D foamies made of a white, 'smooth' finish foam, seems stiff for it's thickness..similar to what you might find in the bottom of a pack of meat from the grocer, but more dense I guess you could say and usually kind of shiny. I usually see carbon rod reinforcement and no airfoils.

Depron, my understanding is, it's a 'rougher' surface foam, more like a soft packing material but heaver/more dense than insulation foam, much touger as it won't crumble, it's not brittle at all and it's not very shiny.

I've used gorilla and hot glues and got some foam safe ca (i generally don't like working with ca glues) but got the ca cause it's lighter than the others, which in a 3D foamie would be a good thing.
yes some guys will use anything and any kind of foam! Ive never worked with the blue foam you refered to but just yesterday seen a model wing
made with it and looked pretty good....best thing for you is to experiement and find out what works best for you.