General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Catalina Motor Power Problems

Old 05-24-2011, 04:41 AM
tjmckinnon

Default Catalina Motor Power Problems

Purchased two brushless Catalinas, each have one right side motor that will not engage until throttle is over half way to full power. The left engines purr instantly, perfect control, the second ( right ). . .no.

We have checked all circuits, and had electrical tests done but can not figure out why (?). Given each motor is fed by one source wire, split by a Y wire, I would have thought equal power would flow to each automatically. Any help will be appreciated, thanks all. ( still not in the air ( smiles again )

I must mention, I am having trouble navigating the wattflyer site for answering replies, such as a thanks to RoadKing97 for your message and offer to discuss, but I can't find a way to reply to you yet ( smiles ). .I will soon, hopefully.

Tjm in West Coast Canada
Old 05-24-2011, 05:14 AM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Did you disable bec on one of the ESCs?
Old 05-24-2011, 10:54 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by tjmckinnon View Post
Purchased two brushless Catalinas, each have one right side motor that will not engage until throttle is over half way to full power. The left engines purr instantly, perfect control, the second ( right ). . .no.

We have checked all circuits, and had electrical tests done but can not figure out why (?). Given each motor is fed by one source wire, split by a Y wire, I would have thought equal power would flow to each automatically. Any help will be appreciated, thanks all. ( still not in the air ( smiles again )

I must mention, I am having trouble navigating the wattflyer site for answering replies, such as a thanks to RoadKing97 for your message and offer to discuss, but I can't find a way to reply to you yet ( smiles ). .I will soon, hopefully.

Tjm in West Coast Canada
Hi TJM and Welcome to Wattflyers, here are a few things to check for.

1. Like CB said, check to see that one of the esc bec is disconected. normally a red wire in the plug that goes to the receiver.if both bec are connected, they will fight each other and burn up, use a pin, and lift the lock tab on the plug, and pull the bec red wire out of one of the esc, tape it up so it does not short out.
2. the throttle end points might need to be reset, remove the props from the motors, lift the throttle stick to WOT, wide open throttle, turn on the transmitter first, then plug in the plane, it will beep for a short while, then move the throttle stick to off, the transmitter should always be the first thing on, and the last to turn off, if your new to RC, you might have reset the throttle end points if you had the throttle half way on and turning on the transmitter then plugging the Planes battery on, transmitter on first with the throttle off, then plug the planes battery in.

Pat explains it very well

crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona WingNutz

Awards Showcase

Friends: (20)

Ken,

Here's the basics for setting your throttle end points in an ESC:

1 - Turn radio on and move throttle to "full".

2 - Plug in your battery to the ESC.

3 - Your ESC should emit a series of beeps. You should initially hear two long beeps, followed by two short beeps. After the two short beeps move the throttle to fully closed (don't mess with the throttle trim at all, leave it at the center position).

Your ESC should then be set to your transmitters throttle end points.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:58 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

After 5 post, you will be able to do more on this site, its there for the Spammers

Also, you might have to set the End points seperate on each ESC, try it both ways, take care and have fun, Chellie