Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

FAA Rules on AP

Old 02-01-2009, 07:46 PM
TexasRCFlyer

Default FAA Rules on AP

I am just curious. I was heavy on this site a year or so ago and have gotten caught up in life. I recently bought a new Heli and started looking again at the AP part of the hobby so of course my first stop was Wattflyer.
I dont plan on starting a business, but was curious about what the FAA has done with any of this. When I stopped being able to get on this on a daily basis it was just coming out that they were starting to have meetings about regulating AP. I found the a thread from IRA from May of 2008 but it just stopped when he posted about attending the first meeting. I couldnt find anything else on the subject. I checked Kosh's website, I see he is still going hot and heavy on this site and his business site hasnt been updated since 2005 so I wasnt sure if he was still trying the "business" side of AP.
Did they every finalize any regulations? Can someone start an aerial photography company without FAA involvement?
Old 02-02-2009, 01:00 AM
Louis

Last edited by Louis; 08-22-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:12 AM
scott w

Something is rotten in Denmark. For over 40 years glider pilots (RC) flying 10 and 12 foot wingspan gliders would spec these things out and then fly cross country and there was never a word about that. I can recall tht over 20 years ago they were putting cameras on the bigger gliders and taking still pictures. These things were way above the 400 ft ceiling. You can go to Google Earth and zoom in on almost anything you want. I cannot help but feel that this is one more thing for government control.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Kosh
Super Contributor

My site was created in 2005 and is updated all the time with new video but not much else. I still do AP but just keep a low profile about it on the forums for the most part. I get questions about it all the time but almost all are in PM or emails sent to my site that I have no problem answering.

Bragging about making big $$$ from AP on these forums could be used against you at some point in the future so its best not to become a test case. If your doing AP for money your NOT covered by the AMA and liability insurance is very pricey for this kind of stuff.

If your wondering how I get away with doing AP its because I own nothing ... lol :o I'm a very poor target to go after because I don't own a house, Have no money in the bank or have anything useful to seize. Most others have something to loose so they can't afford to take chances with there future. Avoid becoming a news story in your local paper unless your donating photos for free to some worthy cause and just keep a low profile about what you do.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:10 AM
Louis

Last edited by Louis; 08-22-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:35 AM
Sabrehawk

Smile

I've been curious too about the commitee's findings so far, by the date of that FAA document it's about a year into it so they shouldnt be at for too much longer. I think I read in there that they are on a 20month schedule.

But also as I read it, these regs would apply to any model aircraft not just those equipped with cameras. The rapid growth of the industry has brought model flight into places its never been. Into neighborhoods, schools, parks and the like. And as one can imagine, a lot of uncontrolled use can happen now as never before. Where as up to a decade ago all model flying was at clubs and at fairly remote locations.

By the designation of "Small Unmanned Aircraft System" that pretty much covers any of them. So I dont think it'll be limited to the AP guys/gals.

So none of this really surprises me, it was bound to happen what with the growth R/C has enjoyed over the last decade.