Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Anyone use these??

Old 08-09-2015, 08:01 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Default Anyone use these??

I bought a 3D plane from TowerHobbies along with the recommended power plant. The ESC: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRDH3 it recommends would not work for me. I had returned it TWICE and have yet to try the 3rd one...kind of nervous. I have trouble shot it with a service tech, and nothing! Regardless of what battery or how many cells (within the recommended minimum number of cells) will this thing even power up.

I have tried different stick positions ( in case of throttle safety) and still no luck. The tech couldn't figure it out either. For $100 it shouldn't be this complicated or substandard in quality. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Mike
Old 08-09-2015, 08:28 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Its a throttle stick range issue.

Especially with the cheaper old analog trim radios some ESCs require the trim to be cycled with the stick to get the full range needed to operate the ESC.

Not sure with that ESC or what TX you are using what the solution will be.

First attempt increasing the TX ATV/endpoints of throttle to max if it has those adjustments.

BTW... I'm local for you. Templeaeromodelers.org
Old 08-10-2015, 12:00 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

$100 for a non-BEC 60A ESC ?

For seriously less money you can get Hobby wing or Plush ESC .... even a CC job - WITH BEC as well

Just saying ....

Nigel
Old 08-10-2015, 12:17 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

2 X 60 amp ESCs (with BECs and the devices to allow both to power the RX at the same time) + 2 EDFs + 5 servos + 3 electric retracts + a nice EPO airplane for appx $240 if you order the Dynam Me-262.

Yep... there are cheaper ways to get a 60 amp ESC.

But the point was: How to make that one work.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:37 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Its a throttle stick range issue.

Especially with the cheaper old analog trim radios some ESCs require the trim to be cycled with the stick to get the full range needed to operate the ESC.

Not sure with that ESC or what TX you are using what the solution will be.

First attempt increasing the TX ATV/endpoints of throttle to max if it has those adjustments.

BTW... I'm local for you. Templeaeromodelers.org
I'm using my DX7. When I plug everything in, it doesn't even power up my Rx. I'll take this one out and fool around with it. I was really hoping it was a throttle/stick location fix. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

BTW, I can't believe that there's someone on this forum that's local. I usually fly with Captain Easy from Fredericksburg. Good to know there's more Wattheads around!
Old 08-10-2015, 12:50 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

BEC: No BEC circuit, opto-isolated
this is common for higher voltage ESCs
Even if the ESC has a BEC if I use more than 4S LiPo I will disable the BEC and use a 2S LiFe for the RX and servos.

You need a separate power source for the RX system.
Says that right in the information on your linked page.

My first reply assumed you knew you needed the separate RX power source. (and the Tower tech support should have caught that...)

I fly models using up to 12S (44.4v nominal, 50.4v peak)
Old 08-10-2015, 03:42 AM
birdDog
Charging....

"OPTO Isolated" That's a new one. I loathe Great Planes. Woulda just got a ZTW for $35
Old 08-10-2015, 04:13 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Opto Isolation has been around ever since there have been ESCs made to handle more than 20 volts. (probably longer but that was when I first saw one) Its to prevent the high motor voltage from jumping into the RX.

My first brushless ESC was a Jeti 6S 60 amp rated Opto isolated about 10 years ago. (at an impressive $200 and it was considered a low price ESC for the time and its capability) Still have this one and it still works like new and outperforms a lot of more modern ESCs.

You will find ESCs that say opto-isolated that DO have BEC in them now. They still have separation of the high voltage side from the low voltage side and the RX signal into the motor control logic uses the opto-isolation to keep the high voltage out of the RX.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:13 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
"OPTO Isolated" That's a new one. I loathe Great Planes. Woulda just got a ZTW for $35
I have a good number of my models with such .... and just add a uBEC to power the Rx.

I reckon near ALL ESC manufacturers / brands have Opto versions.

Nigel
Old 08-11-2015, 12:48 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Maybe this is what I get from not flying in about 2yrs, lol. Thanks guys.

Mike
Old 08-11-2015, 01:08 AM
birdDog
Charging....

I kinda thought you had just come back. I took about 5 off myself. Welcome back!
I have a few OPTO escs as well and isolated the integrated BEC on a few others, I just never heard it referred to as "OPTO isolated" (which may well be the proper phrase).
You're better off with a stand-alone switching BEC.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:07 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
$100 for a non-BEC 60A ESC ?

For seriously less money you can get Hobby wing or Plush ESC .... even a CC job - WITH BEC as well

Just saying ....

Nigel
It's a HV ESC. But yeah, I know. I actually have a Turnigy 60A in my plane now. The HV ESC only serves a purpose if I'm using a battery higher than a 6s. But I said what the heck...I'll just purchase the "combo" and if I ever decide to fly her with anything above a 6s, I'll have that option available.