3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

GreatPlanes You-can-do .60?

Old 08-09-2015, 07:54 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Default GreatPlanes You-can-do .60?

Has anyone built this plane: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDUJC&P=0

All I have left to do is drill the holes for the cowl, to mount to the fuse. I know this may sound nuts...but this is the first plane I've built where I had to drill holes in the cowl for mounting, lol. Any tips for a good "alignment"? Thanks.

Mike
Old 08-09-2015, 08:17 PM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

I have not built one. There is a guy at my club that flies the old slimmer version. It flies really well, it maybe not a true 3D plane, but loads of fun.

For mounting cowls, here's what I do.
With the cowl removed. Take a piece of tape and fold back about 1/3 of it in itself. (So there is a part that's not sticky.) Stick this on the fuse so it just reaches over the cowl mounting block. The tape should be positioned so that the cowl can slip underneath the part of the tape that is not sticky. Start a screw thru the tape and into the mounting material. Repeat for all mounting positions. Then remove the screws.

Put the cowl on then mount the base of the spinner on the motor. Line up the cowl with the spinner. Draw a dot thru the holes in the tape on the cowl with a thin sharpie (or something similar.) Remove the cowl and drill small holes on the marks. Remove tape and mount cowl!

This has worked for me on my planes anyway...

Steve

Last edited by Stevephoon; 08-10-2015 at 05:13 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:32 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Stevephoon View Post
I have not built one. There is a guy at my club that flies the old slimmer version. It flies really well, it maybe not a true 3D plane, but loads of fun.

For mountain cowls, here's what I do.
With the cowl removed. Take a piece of tape and fold back about 1/3 of it in itself. (So there is a part that's not sticky.) Stick this on the fuse so it just reaches over the cowl mounting block. The tape should be positioned so that the cowl can slip underneath the part of the tape that is not sticky. Start a screw thru the tape and into the mounting material. Repeat for all mounting positions. Then remove the screws.

Put the cowl on then mount the base of the spinner on the motor. Line up the cowl with the spinner. Draw a dot thru the holes in the tape on the cowl with a thin sharpie (or something similar.) Remove the cowl and drill small holes on the marks. Remove tape and mount cowl!

This has worked for me on my planes anyway...

Steve
Steve, thanks!
Old 08-10-2015, 04:45 AM
swimmer

Fully assembled plane like this hanging on our local hobby shop ceiling for sale. Very nice looking airplane.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:01 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Not really a lot to do to assemble one. Very nice planes. They are LIGHT and thus don't handle impact well, but they are very good for intro to 3D.

with motor mounted. slide the cowl on, then a scrap 1/16 inch thick disc of balsa/ply/cardboard (same dia as spinner backplate)... then the spinner backplate (broke prop as spacer and tighten down the prop nut). Make sure the spinner goes all the way back as normal (the scrap disc should NOT touch the prop hub... drill that hole oversize a lot)

Now you can pull the cowl tight against the disc and spinner backplate and automatically get the right spacing and you can see how the cowl will line up to the spinner.

Then using the above method for hole locations... perfect every time.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:50 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Not really a lot to do to assemble one. Very nice planes. They are LIGHT and thus don't handle impact well, but they are very good for intro to 3D.

with motor mounted. slide the cowl on, then a scrap 1/16 inch thick disc of balsa/ply/cardboard (same dia as spinner backplate)... then the spinner backplate (broke prop as spacer and tighten down the prop nut). Make sure the spinner goes all the way back as normal (the scrap disc should NOT touch the prop hub... drill that hole oversize a lot)

Now you can pull the cowl tight against the disc and spinner backplate and automatically get the right spacing and you can see how the cowl will line up to the spinner.

Then using the above method for hole locations... perfect every time.
I appreciate it man.