General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Lipo fire

Old 02-15-2014, 10:04 AM
  #1  
DavidR8
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 234
Default Lipo fire

Pretty serious!

http://m.kitv.com/news/homeowner-fir...-fire/24445618
DavidR8 is offline  
Old 02-15-2014, 12:42 PM
  #2  
Don Sims
Administrator
 
Don Sims's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 15,358
Default

Hate to read about that fire. Wonder if he really had it in a bag?
Don Sims is offline  
Old 02-15-2014, 07:35 PM
  #3  
fhhuber
Super Contributor
 
fhhuber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,786
Default

They discoverd in the investigations of some "LiPo fires" that it actually started in the charger.

I keep my charger on a ceramic tile now.
fhhuber is offline  
Old 02-17-2014, 05:00 PM
  #4  
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!
 
Larry3215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gig Harbor, Wa USA
Posts: 7,061
Default

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
Hate to read about that fire. Wonder if he really had it in a bag?
It was the fireman investigator that said he uses a lipo bag. I didnt see any details on what the home owner used.

Its lucky the fireman were RC guys or the report might have been a lot more critical of lipo use.

Would be nice ti know if he was using a balancing charger and what brand, if the packs had been damaged, etc.
Larry3215 is offline  
Old 02-17-2014, 09:03 PM
  #5  
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor
 
kyleservicetech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 8,952
Default

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
It was the fireman investigator that said he uses a lipo bag. I didnt see any details on what the home owner used.

Its lucky the fireman were RC guys or the report might have been a lot more critical of lipo use.

Would be nice ti know if he was using a balancing charger and what brand, if the packs had been damaged, etc.
Yeah
Good question about whether the LiPo was being charged on a balancing charger.

Wonder if there have been ANY LiPo batteries that ignited while being charged with a quality balancing charger??
kyleservicetech is offline  
Old 02-17-2014, 09:14 PM
  #6  
fhhuber
Super Contributor
 
fhhuber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,786
Default

Not sure about batteries.. but I know of one for sure where the quality name brand charger lit up, taking out the car, LiPo and house.
The charge was being watched and the owner saw the sparks start in the charger. He still couldn't get it disconnected in time.
fhhuber is offline  
Old 02-18-2014, 08:42 PM
  #7  
Turner
Super Contributor
 
Turner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 1,534
Default

If he was there and watching things and still lost the house he must have been doing something very stupid.
Turner is offline  
Old 02-21-2014, 10:50 PM
  #8  
Karnsy
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 195
Default Lipo Carryin Case

I wish I could find a lipo fire proof carrying case that would hold at least a dozen or more battery packs. I currently store all mine in a lipo bag (12 to a bag). I wonder if one went bad while in storage if it would be contained with so many packs in the same bag. I take care of my packs and always keep my eyes on them but I would love to have a case that would hold them and use the bags for charging. Anyone have any ideas.
Karnsy is offline  
Old 02-22-2014, 01:07 AM
  #9  
flydiver
Super Contributor
 
flydiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,668
Default

Metal tool box, the smaller hand carry type. I've got an older Craftsman that would likely contain something like that but would be a nuisance to carry around.
flydiver is offline  
Old 02-22-2014, 01:34 AM
  #10  
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor
 
kyleservicetech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 8,952
Default

Originally Posted by Karnsy View Post
I wish I could find a lipo fire proof carrying case that would hold at least a dozen or more battery packs. I currently store all mine in a lipo bag (12 to a bag). I wonder if one went bad while in storage if it would be contained with so many packs in the same bag. I take care of my packs and always keep my eyes on them but I would love to have a case that would hold them and use the bags for charging. Anyone have any ideas.
I found a couple of these years ago that might do the job. Among many other locations, Sears has a few like this one:

http://www.sears.com/excel-14-in-por...&blockType=G30
kyleservicetech is offline  
Old 02-22-2014, 01:56 AM
  #11  
dahawk
Super Contributor
 
dahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 5,019
Default

Bummer. Hate to hear that. I use a Army ammo canister. Drill vent holes in it. WTS here gave me one. Also have a $20 fireproof safe from wally-world. Keep everything in my detached garage. No cars allowed. Try to store mine at storage voltage or about 3.7 volts per cell. That's how they ship them.
dahawk is offline  
Old 02-22-2014, 03:52 AM
  #12  
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor
 
kyleservicetech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 8,952
Default

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Bummer. Hate to hear that. I use a Army ammo canister. Drill vent holes in it. WTS here gave me one. Also have a $20 fireproof safe from wally-world. Keep everything in my detached garage. No cars allowed. Try to store mine at storage voltage or about 3.7 volts per cell. That's how they ship them.
Yeah, I've heard about those fire proof safes from wallyworld before. Sounds like a pretty good idea.
kyleservicetech is offline  
Old 02-22-2014, 05:22 AM
  #13  
Beemerider
Member
 
Beemerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Shenandoah Valley Of Virginia
Posts: 393
Default

I have a question for you lipo guru's. I use a balancing charger but I only balance charge when my battery watt meter says the cells are unbalanced. Otherwise I always charge them at 1C.

So bottom line is I only occasionally balance charge. Is this ok? How does this affect battery life?
Beemerider is offline  
Old 02-22-2014, 05:40 AM
  #14  
fhhuber
Super Contributor
 
fhhuber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,786
Default

All balance charge does is to bring all the cells in a pack to the same voltage. if they are already within 0.02v you don't need to bother.

The main reason to balance is to prevent the high cell from going above 4.2v and the low cell from going below 3.2 v.
Somewhere above 4.25v the cell will burn. usually above 4.30v, sometimes almost 5.0, but anything above 4.2 is risky.
Somewhere below 3.2v the cell will be damaged and become dangerous to charge at all.
fhhuber is offline  
Old 02-22-2014, 06:07 AM
  #15  
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor
 
kyleservicetech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 8,952
Default

Originally Posted by Beemerider View Post
I have a question for you lipo guru's. I use a balancing charger but I only balance charge when my battery watt meter says the cells are unbalanced. Otherwise I always charge them at 1C.

So bottom line is I only occasionally balance charge. Is this ok? How does this affect battery life?

Good question

As for me, I always balance charge, even with those A123 cells. Can't hurt, and seems to me with LiPo batteries, balance charging would really reduce the chances of catastrophic failure during the charging process.
kyleservicetech is offline  
Old 02-22-2014, 06:28 AM
  #16  
Beemerider
Member
 
Beemerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Shenandoah Valley Of Virginia
Posts: 393
Default

I generally only balance charge when at home since in longer charge time is not an issue. At the field I do a standard charge.

Thanks for the additional info!
Beemerider is offline  
Old 02-22-2014, 06:33 AM
  #17  
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor
 
kyleservicetech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 8,952
Default

Originally Posted by Beemerider View Post
I generally only balance charge when at home since in longer charge time is not an issue. At the field I do a standard charge.

Thanks for the additional info!
Yup
That's why I use those over weight, under voltage, heavier A123 cells. All of my 300 watt or larger models use them, and they are balance charged with the Cellpro Powerlab 8 chargers in about 15 minutes.

In fact, my giant scale models with 12S2P A123's are charged as a 6S4P pack with a charging rate of 30 Amps. The 6S2P A123's in my 1 KW sized models are being charged at 20 Amps, about 5C. They don't even get warm doing this.

Those chargers are pulling about 55 Amps out of the 12 Volt DC source, but that is another story! (Note, big deep cycle Lead Acid Batteries can't do it, not and last very long anyhow)
kyleservicetech is offline  
Old 02-22-2014, 06:48 AM
  #18  
Turner
Super Contributor
 
Turner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 1,534
Default

Originally Posted by Beemerider View Post
I have a question for you lipo guru's. I use a balancing charger but I only balance charge when my battery watt meter says the cells are unbalanced. Otherwise I always charge them at 1C.

So bottom line is I only occasionally balance charge. Is this ok? How does this affect battery life?
It's fine, I do the same, but always charge with the balance wire connected to maintain all the chargers overcharge protections. This ensures that the charge will end without any cell exceeding 4.2 volts.
Turner is offline  
Old 02-22-2014, 12:45 PM
  #19  
Karnsy
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 195
Default

I like the tool box idea kyleservicetech. Cheap and serves the purpose. I assume you did not drill any holes in it as it can't be airtight as is. I think I will pick one up at Sears today. Here in Maine keeping them out in the garage seems like a pain in sub zero weather so I think I will keep them in the basement on the cement floor.
I still wish someone would make a fireproof lipo carrying case. One that would have individual pockets for each pack (or not) and a handle. Hey ,,,,maybe I should invent one
Karnsy is offline  
Old 02-22-2014, 03:06 PM
  #20  
Turner
Super Contributor
 
Turner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 1,534
Default

Common Sense Rc has a variety of them. I have the one at the bottom of this page.

https://www.commonsenserc.com/index....pnakovmhggddb4

Turner is offline  
Old 02-23-2014, 11:13 PM
  #21  
Karnsy
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 195
Default

Hey that's the ticket Turner ! looks like they are sold out for a while but I am very interested in that one. Looks like just what I was looking for.
I can't imagine having a fire while they are in storage but seems like this would be as safe as one could get if one did take off. Thanks for all the help !!!!
Karnsy is offline  
Old 02-24-2014, 03:16 AM
  #22  
Beemerider
Member
 
Beemerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Shenandoah Valley Of Virginia
Posts: 393
Default

Originally Posted by Turner View Post
It's fine, I do the same, but always charge with the balance wire connected to maintain all the chargers overcharge protections. This ensures that the charge will end without any cell exceeding 4.2 volts.
I had originally thought you only needed to connect the balance plug while balance charging. I appreciate you pointing that out to me. I will do that going forward now.
Beemerider is offline  
Old 02-24-2014, 03:48 AM
  #23  
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor
 
kyleservicetech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 8,952
Default

Originally Posted by Beemerider View Post
I had originally thought you only needed to connect the balance plug while balance charging. I appreciate you pointing that out to me. I will do that going forward now.
Yup

When first starting out with those A123 cells pulled out of the Dewalt 36 Volt battery packs, I was charging them with a home made 10 Amp charger that matched the required final 21.6 Volts DC maximum charge voltage on my 6S2P A123 packs. Balancing at the end of the day was done with one of those Astroflight little blinky balancers.

Worked fairly well. So I thought. Those Little Blinky balancers were not worth their weight in . After a few months, the A123 pack was so far out of balance that one pair of the two parallel connected cells went by by, after hitting some 6 Volts DC. While the other cells were still at 3.3 VDC.

Had to replace the two cells. That pack still works as good as new, some six years and many hundreds of flights later.

Those A123 cells can not ignite due to overcharging or similar. Had that been a 6S LiPo, it might have had a very different end result.
kyleservicetech is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 02:18 PM
  #24  
BillDeLong
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 10
Default

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
They discoverd in the investigations of some "LiPo fires" that it actually started in the charger.

I keep my charger on a ceramic tile now.
pretty scary stuff... I wonder if he was charging the LiPo in NiMh mode???
BillDeLong is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
rocco61
Batteries & Chargers
23
07-02-2012 03:14 AM
SimonXi
Power Systems
0
08-17-2011 12:02 PM
SimonXi
Batteries & Chargers
0
08-12-2011 06:08 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Quick Reply: Lipo fire


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14808 seconds with 15 queries