Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

Making Money With AP

Old 02-18-2009, 04:11 PM
scott w

Default Making Money With AP

I would like to hear from those that make extra spending money with their AP set up. Don't need to know how much but would like to know what the job consisted of, type of camera and plane used.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:18 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Thats kind of a touchy subject.

FAA is starting to control more (all) of the airspace and deeming it unavailable for such commercial use.

I'm not saying people still dont take pics for money, alot just dont post on the internet anymore because of the FAA rules.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:37 PM
scott w

I never dreamed that this would be a problem in this country. I would appreciate any information in a private message. Thanks for the information
Old 02-18-2009, 04:48 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

I'll pm you Scott. no problem
Old 03-11-2009, 08:57 PM
FPVpilot

Yep, just more rules and laws here in the great US. All for your protection of course....where did freedom go...oh ya it went South.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:44 PM
rudderfeet

I'm not sure if it's related or not, but at least with full-scale aircraft the FAA is exceedingly clear in the regs. If you want to get reimbursed for more than 50% of a flight's cost, you need to possess a Commercial pilot's license.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:53 PM
dmmalish
r/c crash test "DUMMY"

Thumbs down what a country!!!!!!!!

all i can think to say is wow!!!! its a shame our country will never be the same again good old uncle sam afraid he won't get his share by the time our goverment gets done we will all be outlaws because everything we used to do for fun or money or pleasure will be outlawed just like a pack of cigeretts going to $7 bucks a pack here in mich. guess what? people will be crossing state lines to boot leg them i guess i am just getting old i'm starting to sound like my father in-law and my dad did 10 years ago i guess i was to blind to see it coming or i am maturing
Old 03-11-2009, 11:18 PM
rudderfeet

Hi aviatordave, could you post a link to regulations, or at least somewhere to get more (public) info so we can be specific here?

I'm going to play devil's advocate because I'm in one of those moods...

Again, not sure if it relates or not, but the FAA's primary restrictions around full-scale for-profit flight are mainly around safety. Private Pilots such as myself aren't required to maintain a level of training, proficiency and health minimums that commercial pilots are, and that's because commercial activities are loaded with more risk than private pilots typically encounter. Think about the inherent dangers of pipeline inspection, passenger and package ferry in marginal weather, low-level photography around power lines, etc., all the while having to answer to unsympathetic customers. As a commercial pilot you need to exercise a focus on public safety that exceeds that generally needed of a private pilot.

Now, RC flight in public airspace is completely unregulated by comparison. You don't need a license, a safety inspection, usage of approved parts, or even a functional frontal lobe to fly a Raptor 90 nitro heli. There's no doubt that some of the things we RCers fly very well could hurt or kill people. Do you see the balance the FAA has to keep? What they've chosen to do is say that higher-risk activities require higher levels of training, certification and skill.

History books talk about how regulation in the U.S. got started. In the 1800s steammboat boilers frequently exploded, caught ships on fire and killed passengers. That is, until one of "our freedoms" was taken away - to build and sell boilers without inspection. Nowadays we take for granted that water heaters in our homes won't explode - I think that's a Good Thing.

Sorry, but I'm willing to give up some freedoms for public safety. Arial Photography may not seem dangerous or worthy of regulation, but the statutes that restrict it were probably written from the blood of other's misfortunes in public airspace.

So, flaunt the regulations and do it anyway? Go ahead. Just don't be too surprised when RC is prohibited altogether as a result.