Go Back  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Sky Sharkster
Reload this Page >

Conversation Between Sky Sharkster and capn chaos

Conversation Between Sky Sharkster and capn chaos
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 5 of 5
  1. Sky Sharkster
    02-15-2010 11:00 PM
    Hi Bob,
    Thanks for the support. The earlier replies on the thread make it sound like I butchered the model, but it was a no-brainer for me. I could have done lots worse if I (either) flew the model out of C.G. or added unnecessary weight. I can see their point about chopping an unflown, brand new model, but learned long ago, you can't be too attached to a particular plane, at least not to the point you won't cut it open if it needs it. Good Luck with the Ryan!
    Ron
  2. capn chaos
    02-15-2010 10:23 PM
    Ron,
    Have to agree with your view of dead weight. Just philosophically opposed to that concept. I think I would have doned the same thing and still will eyeball performance on the Ryan when I get to maiden it. Somewhere buried in my build thread was a prophetic comment "for some inexplicable reason felt it necessary to make the tail surfaces easily removable". Really for ease of repair to fuselage, covering etc (there it goes again). Lower hinge pin is the only thing keeping both tail surfaces in place. I removed the stock pin and put a right angle pin out of a quick link clevis in place. That is held in position by a dot of CA. If I think saving 1/2-3/4 ozs is worth it then I'll make up a new set of tail feathers with more traditional stick build like your MFB. If the plane flys scale like, I will be happy and leave it alone.
    Didn't want to "booger" your thread up with this drivel.
    Bob
  3. capn chaos
    02-13-2010 10:41 PM
    Ron,
    Again, congrats on the MFB. Hope your maiden goes as well as the build. I do appreciate your insights along the way, offered on your thread and my Ryan build. Yes 37" WS and under a pound is not to shabby I guess especially considering the laminated fuselage sides and all the 1/64" wingskin involved. Very strong for its weight. I learned sometime ago that the ground doesnt really care how strong you make it...lol...I have read numerous posts that encourage max motors and necessary battery power, ESC etc. All that weight adds up and basically you have to build a stronger model to support it...ie more weight still!! It tends to snowball. I fought the urge to add more power.
  4. Sky Sharkster
    01-10-2010 04:17 AM
    Hi Bob,
    Well, that sounds like a big project! I'd have to agree that the weight goes up considerably with the size, I never figured it was cubed, but you could be right. My 1/2 sized Astro Hog only weighs 17-1/2 ounces and the twiced-size (71" w.s.) weighed nearly four pounds. But that was in the day of 2 ounce servos and glow motors, fuel, etc.
    I'm guessing you could make the twice-sized at 40-44 ounces with careful wood selection and construction.
    A lot depends on battery weight, too. Most of the other weights are fixed, size "X" servos weigh a certain amount, receivers, and so on. You might try to find the lightest motor once you determine the watts needed, there is some leeway there. AXI's are quite heavy with double ball-bearings and stout construction, Chinese outies less so.
    Is the wing are cubed also with a double sizing? If so the wing loading should be OK.
    Just some rambling thoughts, hope it helps!
    Good Luck,
    Ron
  5. capn chaos
    01-10-2010 02:59 AM
    Ron,
    When you get a chance to ponder this, let me know what you think;
    Your fly baby and my ryan are fairly similar in construction (basic) and design. I'm trying to get an idea of what a 2 x ryan might weigh given the same construction, scaled up with balsa sections scaled up appropriately for the size I believe the weight cubes as the size doubles but I might be wrong. This may only work in the midrange of sizes and would possibly not be applicable to giant or micro scale, FYI my fuse and wing weigh in at 5.5 ozs or around 150 grams but that includes film on wing, gear wires and hinged ailerons with torque rods. So lets call it 125 grams. That comes really close to 8 x (2x2x2) the weight of your micro bird. I might want to build a 1/5 scale ryan more scale like using the same construction as this build. That would be a 74" ws and if theory is even close to correct, fuse and wing would weigh just over 2.5 lbs ready for motor and electronics. Just a thought, respect your opinion.
    Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.07864 seconds with 13 queries